What static band sawmill would you buy?

HB98

1 hour ago, billy_wizz said:

A stenner bandmill head rig with an artiglio carriage if I work out how I'll drop a picture of it tomorrow!

Cheers 

there’s a lovely old redundant  stenner set up in a derelict shed on an estate near me and a load of blades just being left to rot away. 

IMG_5083.png

IMG_5084.png

IMG_5085.png

Edited by Johnsond
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, billy_wizz said:

In fairness the benefits of tipped blades is far more noticeable in softwood! My options are limited to tipped or swaged blades as I'm pretty sure they don't do a spring tip for a 7" body blade also not sure how they would cope with 60 m a min cut speed!

Given the issues so many people have with saw doctors I'm wondering if I should invest in a setting machine (already have the grinder) and putting my bandsaw maintenance qualifications to work! If you don't mind what does it cost to have a narrow band serviced these days?

I've always been tempted to sharpen wide blades because the saw service quickly adds up! but then the output should more than cover this so i would rather spend time milling and paying a decent saw doctor.  

Hi HB98

when you say a commercial venture what do you mean by this? this will help identify the saw you need to get.

what is your finished product e.g. wide slabs, boards, rails, beams etc.

what is your target output m3/hr or logs/hr

what is your sawyers experience? what equipment are they familiar with?

how much 3phase do you have?

are you going to have a resaw?

personally i would avoid narrow band because i cant see it producing fast and accurate cuts, this is very important.

how did you get on with mebor? im aware their pricing has increased recently you might be better going for a resonable used mebor just to get you going kind of thing then upgrade from there 

13 hours ago, Graham w said:

I've always been tempted to sharpen wide blades because the saw service quickly adds up! but then the output should more than cover this so i would rather spend time milling and paying a decent saw doctor.  

Sharpening wide bandsaws is the easy part it's the benching that is critical and I'm told is very difficult to pick up I found it relatively easy but I'm probably lucky and have a natural talent for it!

11 hours ago, Graham w said:

very nice!

Can I ask the make/spec of the laser? 

Is that a multi rip in the back ground, Just seeing what looks like the door/bearing and support frame? 

Good spot on the bearing and yes it is a multi rip not sure on the Lazer model but the manufacturer is z-lazer and it's the highest power you can have without a mandatory requirement for eye protection!

• Like 1

On 18/08/2023 at 07:42, trigger_andy said:

My favourite part of Sweden is Malmö, I just love the positive attributes diversity has brought to the city. 

Positives such as gangs lobbing hand grenades about and people sticking broken glass and bits of metal in bits of cake and leaving then laying around for dogs to eat..... does have some nice parks with nice trees and day light  execution /revenge shootings 

• Like 1