Best engine size and bar length for all round use

Elliott.F

1 hour ago, Elliott.F said:

Mostly cutting up to around 16” with the occasional larger tree, coppicing, all the processing of those trees and firewood. 
I think I’d prefer a longer bar for doing my firewood, say 24”, but I’m guessing I’d need some thing around 70cc to run that. 
It looks like 50/60cc with 18” bar would be the compromise. 

If you can find a good Husqvarna 362xp it will take a 24inch bar in

.325 Rob D supplied mine, you could also run 18 and 15 on that saw. But it's just a matter of finding one. 

• Like 1

For a all rounder  50cc with 15in bar.

But if limited to  one saw only a 60cc with 18 in will cover more stuff.

Think you need 2 saws - handy if you get the bar trapped to have spare one with you or if one stops working, and hazel to large  trees is a big range.

What saw do you use atm?

• Like 1

The one saw I always took when starting was a 60cc and 18". It was about as heavy as I wanted to use all day long and could do all I needed.

Sometimes, if there was something too big, I'd go get a larger saw or leave it and do all the bigger saw jobs in one hit, when, everything else was sorted.

I have taken one power head and a couple of bars/chains, then switch them if required.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cornishman07 said:

Trick question, you need three saws minimum, plus a few back ups just in case anything happens to the first three!

Yeah I’m thinking 4 saws to cover all the bases, then at least one back up for each saw, that makes 8 saws, then a couple of spares to round it up to 10 saws. That should just about be enough. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, gdh said:

It depends what you're mostly cutting. My go to saws are a 550 with a 15inch bar and a 572 with a 24inch bar and that covers 95% of what I cut.

Pretty much what I use, but the bigger saw is a 660 with a 25.

550 wherever possible though, it’s so light and snappy.

If we’re into a lot of heavier stuff the 500 and 462 get through a fair bit of work, running 20”.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Elliott.F said:

Yeah I’m thinking 4 saws to cover all the bases, then at least one back up for each saw, that makes 8 saws, then a couple of spares to round it up to 10 saws. That should just about be enough. 

Get two work vehicles the you can double it, each truck needs a set 😎

• Haha 2