Wadkin 20” Planer. 18” Thicknesser.

trigger_andy

9 minutes ago, Squaredy said:

Looking at the machine it is difficult to see where the extraction pipes will go.  As it is a surface planer and a thicknesser it will need two extraction hoses, and I would say they will need to be re-arranged when you go from surface planing to thicknessing.  This will be the most difficult aspect of setup I would say.

Is it currently used without extraction?

He uses it without extraction and lets the young lad clean up after. 🤣 He has used it so little these last few years anyway. 

He’s built a box for extraction for the thicknesser and to be honest that’s where I’d use it the most anyway. 

I’ve a guy wanting the oak shavings and we’ll do a deal for fresh smoked salmon! 😊

1 hour ago, trigger_andy said:

He uses it without extraction and lets the young lad clean up after. 🤣 He has used it so little these last few years anyway. 

He’s built a box for extraction for the thicknesser and to be honest that’s where I’d use it the most anyway. 

I’ve a guy wanting the oak shavings and we’ll do a deal for fresh smoked salmon! 😊

Ah nice one!  I get mushrooms in exchange for some of my sawdust!IMG_9443.thumb.jpeg.cca4227ad87bf34f00e9d6c48620145e.jpeg

• Like 2

On 04/08/2023 at 13:32, trigger_andy said:

Buying this off of a mate today. I’ve used it for years and it’s a cracking bit of kit. 

Getting it delivered for £1500. Seems like a good price?

IMG_2843.png

IMG_2842.png

IMG_2841.png

IMG_2840.png

I've got a thicknesses like that, except mine has two added dangers - a table saw and it runs off an uncovered belt from an motor.  I find it so scary to use, that I rarery use it.

• Like 2

My 2ft wide thicknesser was a real pain to move and its just not right ever since the old boy I got it off was saying to me it should do a full turn of the depth cut wheel and just chew through even Burr Oak but I struggle to get a quater turn and the only thing thats changed is the location of the machine unless my 3phase converter isnt giving it enough umph, just be carefull moving it It looks like a good bit of kit

• Thanks 1

On 07/08/2023 at 14:23, Billhook said:

Don't stand behind it when you feed the thicknesser Andy, but you probably know that

Hmmmmm, I did not know that. 😮 Thanks for the heads-up. Thankfully I tend to just get it started then head around to the exit side. I'll certainly keep that in mind. 

On 07/08/2023 at 16:06, Muddy42 said:

I've got a thicknesses like that, except mine has two added dangers - a table saw and it runs off an uncovered belt from an motor.  I find it so scary to use, that I rarery use it.

I find it scary to use as well, but it keeps a healthy respect for the machine. I will use my smaller ones for little jobs and only use this when I have to

On 08/08/2023 at 10:52, gobbypunk said:

My 2ft wide thicknesser was a real pain to move and its just not right ever since the old boy I got it off was saying to me it should do a full turn of the depth cut wheel and just chew through even Burr Oak but I struggle to get a quater turn and the only thing thats changed is the location of the machine unless my 3phase converter isnt giving it enough umph, just be carefull moving it It looks like a good bit of kit

Id seriously look at your converter. Ill assume the old boy had an actual 3ph supply?