Forestor Swivelsaw needs a home.

Ronthechippy

Hi,

This is my first post here. 

For the last 40 or so years I've been making bespoke furniture. About 20 years ago I bought a mill and kiln so that I could buy logs locally, mill them up, dry the planks and use them to make furniture.

However its time for me to retire and the trusty mill needs a new home.

It's a Forestor Swivelsaw 210mm cut which can take a log up to a 6m long and 1.4m, plus there's a chainsaw accessory for milling through and through boards.

I'm not sure what it's worth or where to sell it.

Any thoughts from fellow woodies...much appreciated.

Ron from Pembrokeshire

Little use, at a guess probably about 200hrs. I'd collect up a few logs each year and get the mill out in early spring to process them, that's all. It's always been stored under cover and oil changed etc. I've got several blades, one new and one needs a few tips replaced (a hazard of hedgerow/garden trees!). The only thing that needs fixing is one of the rollers on the carriage needs replacing again, they last about 100 hrs. I got the local engineer to turn the last one for about £15. Otherwise it's ready to work. As for how much, I don't really have a clue but I'm open to sensible offers.

Cheers

Ron

How much is the equivalent new now? I always reckon about half new value in good Nick is a good starting point. I would guess it’s modern counterpart would be the Lucas mill but can’t help on what they cost now either. 

Edited by Will C
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Ronthechippy said:

Little use, at a guess probably about 200hrs. I'd collect up a few logs each year and get the mill out in early spring to process them, that's all. It's always been stored under cover and oil changed etc. I've got several blades, one new and one needs a few tips replaced (a hazard of hedgerow/garden trees!). The only thing that needs fixing is one of the rollers on the carriage needs replacing again, they last about 100 hrs. I got the local engineer to turn the last one for about £15. Otherwise it's ready to work. As for how much, I don't really have a clue but I'm open to sensible offers.

Cheers

Ron

Sent you a PM

• Like 1

Hi,

Thanks for all the interest and questions, here are some of them answered.

The photo above shows the mill set up in my yard. 

The mill is supplied with "bottom cross beams" which the galvanised post locate in and can be pegged to the ground. 
Since I planned to use the mill in my yard only I concreted sockets into the ground to take the posts for easy accurate set up (bottom cross beams not used)

The log in the photo is a 1m+ Beech, which we rolled under the raised up side beams with cant hooks and chocked it for milling.
Mostly we roll the logs onto a ground frame (see photo) and hold them in place with the purpose made adjustable dogs. Doing it this way means that apart from the square edged planks you can also get an accurate full width plank from each log by flipping the log over.
The ground frame and 4 dogs are included in the sale but less 2 cross members.

image.thumb.jpeg.468e3137144cb2a91ed7fc883b1823d2.jpeg

The chainsaw attachment. I never used it, but it's all there. About a 1.2m wide cut.

Sawblade: 570mm diameter. 5.8mm kerf. 8 tooth. Gives a clean cut in all the local hardwoods that I've milled. Pinches a bit on stressed logs but that's wood for you!

Side beams: Aluminium extrusions. 265mm x 65mm. Long beam measures about 6m, extension beam measures about 2m. They securely bolt together to make up the 8m total.

There's a youtube video demo made by the the company who made the Swivelsaw after Forestor: 

Any more questions..please ask.

Cheers

Ron

Edited by Ronthechippy
  • Like 1