Chesnut coppicing

Hi I have a woodland 3 acres of very mature and very straight chesnuts trees 60 feet plus tall I would like to coppice these and sell them . How do I find a buyer and what are they worth to someone either to come and fell and take away or I get the work done and sell myself. Any advice please ?

• Like 1

Good quality chestnut coppice is worth maybe £600 per acre standing. Probably considerably less than you were hoping. That goes right down if access etc is shite.

I'm presuming you are either Sussex or Kent, if Sussex then I can give you some starter contacts.

Edited by doobin
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, doobin said:

Good quality chestnut coppice is worth maybe £600 per acre standing. Probably considerably less than you were hoping. That goes right down if access etc is shite.

I'm presuming you are either Sussex or Kent, if Sussex then I can give you some starter contacts.

Correct, I'd say for acreage rate that is

If it’s oversize ( you didn’t say how big and sweet chestnut gets pretty large ) unlikely it’ll be good for fencing if it’s too big for strainers etc.

Makes lovely beams , planks , cladding though 

Wests and English Woodlands have been pushing it due to rising price of oak , most of which they get from France.  They are both in West Sussex. 
As are Big Beech and Doobin , both good guys to do business with and both mill timber. 
big beech likes the oversize character pieces , he’s had big chestnut of me before and sold some lovely boards from it. Doobin has a nice woodlands mill. 
@Big Beech@doobin

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 24/07/2023 at 13:07, lux said:

If it’s oversize ( you didn’t say how big and sweet chestnut gets pretty large ) unlikely it’ll be good for fencing if it’s too big for strainers etc.

Makes lovely beams , planks , cladding though 

Wests and English Woodlands have been pushing it due to rising price of oak , most of which they get from France.  They are both in West Sussex. 
As are Big Beech and Doobin , both good guys to do business with and both mill timber. 
big beech likes the oversize character pieces , he’s had big chestnut of me before and sold some lovely boards from it. Doobin has a nice woodlands mill. 
@Big Beech@doobin

Yes those pictures look like it has gone on a bit too far for cleaving.

She should also consider asking if Inwood developments are still taking sweet chestnut for finger jointing at Lewes. A felling licence will be required.

• Thanks 1