Paying somebody in cash

Donnie

1 minute ago, NJA said:

The card provider is charging that to arrange the transaction, not gonna do it for free are they? I think its fair for the convenience of having a card to access your money. I'd happily pay more not to have the hassle of going to a cash machine then having the change rattling around in the glove box .

Why? I live in a rural village, there are two cash machines, what’s difficult in drawing out a bit of cash, or if you get paid in cash passing it around. There is no inconvenience.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, sime42 said:

Cash less car parking is my particular favourite. Who wants to piss around on their phone downloading some or other App, (that might then take 5 minutes to set up), rather than just putting a quid or two in the machine and then going on about their business? Not me for one.

It's the elderly that I feel sorry for in such situations. Many don't own a Smart Phone, let alone understand what an App is or how to download one.

Progress eh?

Ringo is awesome, if you realise you're gonna be another ½hr getting back to the car open your phone and 5 seconds later youveput another ½hr on the parking.

But trouble is every car park is a different app and often no signal in the carpark🤦‍♂️

And in fairness card machines on ticket machines often faulty, so good idea but only if the tech actually works😄

2 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

Why? I live in a rural village, there are two cash machines, what’s difficult in drawing out a bit of cash, or if you get paid in cash passing it around. There is no inconvenience.

Nah, life's too short for me to do that.  But each to their own.

21 minutes ago, Johnsond said:

That’s a topic all on it’s own but the blatantly obvious elephant in the bloody room that blows all the political side of your argument out the water is why are they crossing from a safe country then. Are they not passing through multiple countries they could claim asylum in if they really were that desperate !! then cross the channel 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️so it’s the governments fault they are illegally crossing from France “ a safe country “ . As for the locals scum off their heads as you refer to them  🤷‍♂️enforce current laws, lose the softly softly touch with these people. 

To get to a country where they can speak the lingo? If I’m right both of us have worked abroad, Is it easier for us if the natives speak our language?

1 hour ago, NJA said:

The card provider is charging that to arrange the transaction, not gonna do it for free are they? I think its fair for the convenience of having a card to access your money. I'd happily pay more not to have the hassle of going to a cash machine then having the change rattling around in the glove box .

You’d happily pay more !!. 

1 hour ago, eggsarascal said:

Language barrier? Most second language is English, please tell me that you don’t think ‘they’ are financially better off here because of our benefits system, if you do you’ve been sold a pup.

You have  just done your standard thing and thrown a line in there and presumed way way too much. The language barrier is it 🤔. No one speaks French  I guess eggs ??. 

Edited by Johnsond

1 hour ago, eggsarascal said:

To get to a country where they can speak the lingo? If I’m right both of us have worked abroad, Is it easier for us if the natives speak our language?

Ok then bollocks to it eh, let’s put a sign up at Dover “ if you can speak English in you come “ don’t worry about the cost or any of the societal implications eh, just open the bloody doors. 
Every time I’ve been abroad for a sustained period or an a vessel with different nationalities I have made a concerted effort out of respect and courtesy to try and pick up the language of that country or Individual even if only the bare basics rather than rely on the “ natives “ as you put it to speak English.

Edited by Johnsond
  • Like 1

The language thing is an argument I’ve heard before, but I don’t see it.

Are you really going to risk your life (and that of your wife and kids) go into debt or give your life savings to gangsters to get on an inflatable to cross the channel just because you don’t want to lean French?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, sime42 said:

Cash less car parking is my particular favourite. Who wants to piss around on their phone downloading some or other App, (that might then take 5 minutes to set up), rather than just putting a quid or two in the machine and then going on about their business? Not me for one.

It's the elderly that I feel sorry for in such situations. Many don't own a Smart Phone, let alone understand what an App is or how to download one.

Progress eh?

I don’t know, I’m a fan actually. It’s nice when you’re the other side of town and running out of time that you can add another hour via your phone without having to walk all the way back to the car park, that’s progress. What I dont agree with is that they are now phasing in app only systems at the car parks. Wouldn’t be so bad if all the car parks used the same app I guess  

• Like 1