What’s wrong with these buxus?

D.e.hill

Question

Hi all,

I planted a row of little buxus pyramids at the front of my house a couple of years ago, but recently they seem to struggling. 

Are they just dehydrated or is there something more sinister at play?

I’ve been watering them daily recently but I’m concerned it may be too little too late 😬

Any/all thoughts welcome!

IMG_4561.jpeg

IMG_4560.jpeg

IMG_4559.jpeg

IMG_4558.jpeg

8 answers to this question

get some of this stuff. you have to order it online. worth just keeping a couple of boxes of it in stock just in case. 

EN.TOPBUXUS.COM

TOPBUXUS XenTari® Raupen- & Zünslerfrei New packaging and dosage from 2021! New dosage: 5x 3g for a total of 150m2 Biological control of the Boxwood Caterpillar and Boxwood...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As above. The Asian Box Caterpillar. Have had a lot of box chewed to bits this year. Supposed to do 3 sprays of the stuff @DJM Tree posted up. I believe you can repair the damage if you keep on top of the caterpillars. You can also get rid of the caterpillars by physically taking them off your plants. They will be all over the shop. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for all your advice. Top diagnosis!!

I had a good look tonight and indeed found a (only one!) green caterpillar, a cocoon and a couple of dozen snails. All removed and a bloody good drenching in the Topbuxus potion. Will do it again in a few days and hopefully the plants will start to recover.  

A solid win from the forum, thanks again!

One last question, what am I meant to do with the caterpillars and snails?!?

• Like 1

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I think Box's days might be numbered. There's been a sharp rise in Box blight as well as this moth/caterpillar in recent years. Research has been started into viable alternatives, and I think a few have been identified so far.