Help with Stihl Models.... What makes a "Pro" saw as opposed to Semi-Pro / Hobby(?) saw

Bob_z_l

Help please,

I have a 261 and also 230 and see the difference in the 261 Mag/alloy crankcases.

I'm looking to add another saw to the collection midway between 261 and 661. Probably second hand.

What model range am I looking out for?  361, 441. 392 460/1   I'm getting confused.

Stihl catalogues past and present categorise their saw range from home owner, to landscaper/farmer, through to forestry use (full pro)

Just goodle and you will find copies of the relevant catalogues.

Out of those list of models in your last sentence, they are all pro users saws except for the 392, which is a landscaper/farmer saw.....basically a beefed up and more powerful homeowner saw. Plastic carriage and body with a cheap to make clamshell engine.

Domestic saw. Occasional use in a homeowner environment. Lighter use. Cutting logs for a wood burner, bit of limbing and pruning. Felling up to say 14cm dia on occasions.

Lanndscaper/farmer saw. Designed for more use generally heavier and to be use part of someones job rather than full time. Such as a gardener....or a farmer

Pro saws. For full time money earning use, where a chainsaw constitutes pretty much the sole purpose of the occupation. From toppimg/pruning,right up to heavy logging/processing requirements

Edited by pleasant
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bob_z_l said:

Help please,

I have a 261 and also 230 and see the difference in the 261 Mag/alloy crankcases.

I'm looking to add another saw to the collection midway between 261 and 661. Probably second hand.

What model range am I looking out for?  361, 441. 392 460/1   I'm getting confused.

HI,

If your budget will stretch the MS400 is an amazing Pro saw, light and powerful.

It will sit nicely with your current saws, pulls an 18" or 20" easily and won't knacker you if you're using it for a long day. The only problem might be there are not too many second hand ones about.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bob_z_l said:

Help please,

A 361/362 isn't much more saw than a 261 but is a tolerable way to run a 20" bar if you have a short one on the 261. A 461/462 is a much more significant step up and ideal for 25" or 20".

• Thanks 1

Further musing:

The 441 is pointless when the 461 exists.

Farmer saws like the 291 and 391 will feel dead if you're used to a good pro saw like the 261. The farmer/landscaper/prosumer 230 should by that logic be shit too but their power:weight ratio is particularly good.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, AHPP said:

Further musing:

The 441 is pointless when the 461 exists.

Farmer saws like the 291 and 391 will feel dead if you're used to a good pro saw like the 261. The farmer/landscaper/prosumer 230 should by that logic be shit too but their power:weight ratio is particularly good.

My 230 is fine, when I had a few issues a few years ago (2000 model) the chap in the workshop winced when I said how much I was using it. He said prosaw and 261 was the way. In truth they are similar except the 261 has mag/alloy cases and feels more robust. 
Hence my question....without getting my mitts on the model, how do I tell? 
The engine construction is different. 261 has a separate pot like a 661  
Can I assume Pro saws have this? 

I wondered if there was an easy way... 23x 25x 27x prosumer 24x 26x pro? Odds not pro Evens Pro?

Sorry If I'm asking a silly question.

2 minutes ago, Muddy42 said:

I have an old MS460 (76cc I think) with a 20 inch bar that I brought back to live with a meteor piston last year.  So far its been great.  Like you I was trying to fill a gap between small and massive saws.

Does the 460 have a separate pot? 

As my earlier question.

26x 46x all even numbers. so even = Pro?