Putting a different engine in a chipper...

swinny

20 minutes ago, dumper said:

Go perkins I’m told up to 90 hp will fit clutch bell housing to block will need an adapter plate and you will need a bigger rad can’t see it’s that difficult 

That's what I'm thinking.... I've wasted 2-3k on this engine easily wish I'd have thrown it out straight away. 

I just worried about the output shaft mating with clutchand flywheel bearing and the adaptor plate. 

I've seen various perkins sold with rads an running etc 800-1k then there's the phaser engines a little more. Seen a mf390t engine for sale but its 2k and probs needs oil cooler etc

My bandit has perkins fitted so bell housing must be available mines a four cylinder naturally aspirated, but I have seen a  90 with a turbo fitted would have thought its just the adapter you will need. What about engine from a lighting tower or compressor?

As others have said, adaptor plates may easily be most of what you need. I once fitted a Perkins 4-154 out of a CF van into a Vauxhall estate. Not the greatest success ever, but good fun. Is it possible to go belt driven? Combines are great donors for this, as suggested above. 

• 2 weeks later...

Don't go the automotive engine route! Stay Industrial.  Air cooled is easier than water too. Check it out to see if you need output shaft to take up warp and weft and check engine speeds to get correct pulley diameter etc. Other than that, it is an industrial internal combustion engine!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PeteB said:

Don't go the automotive engine route! Stay Industrial.

Sounds sensible, any particular reason?

I remember the throttle response, injection settings I suppose, was entirely wrong when my mate went the other way and fitted a Perkins in a land Rover.

There were many Perkins conversions over the years,  even saw a tidy conversion using the diesel lump out of a Montego! I have seen a chipper driven by a Transit engine and gearbox in my time too! By and large, water cooled automotive engines had a very different cooling pack mated to their needs and air flow passing through them etc. 

• Thanks 1

Car cooling is mostly passive, as it drives forward everything under the hood gets blasted and to a degree that's why most engine fans are now fully electric and only run whilst stationary.

Industrial engines are mostly mechanical fan cooled, built to run at a constant speed for hours.

• Like 1