Small chipper

RobG 86

Good morning, hope you’re all well. Can anyone recommend a small  chipper that would be ideal to use in small gardens, where access is limited. Gates around this size 915 x 1829 mm roughly. It would also be useful to go in the back of the van or on a small trailer to leave with the lads when doing hedges. 

Many thanks

We sell the really good cobra 650L chipper. Ok, its a domestic product that we sell for around £750, but thats still one, if not the cheapest chipper of this type for a domestic user....however based on price and quality we have sold a lot to gardeners....man in a van types, who like you dont want a full pro timberwolf etc, but something that will be used in a garden environment as part of occasionally used kit rather than full time use. Ok, its chinese, but it is very good and we have never had one back with an issue.

Here you go;

They also do an electric start version as well as one with a draw bar for towing...but thats not for road towning use. Just around the garden.

Edited by pleasant
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, pleasant said:

We sell the really good cobra 650L chipper. Ok, its a domestic product that we sell for around £750, but thats still one, if not the cheapest chipper of this type for a domestic user....however based on price and quality we have sold a lot to gardeners....man in a van types, who like you dont want a full pro timberwolf etc, but something that will be used in a garden environment as part of occasionally used kit rather than full time use. Ok, its chinese, but it is very good and we have never had one back with an issue.

Here you go;

They also do an electric start version as well as one with a draw bar for towing...but thats not for road towning use. Just around the garden.

Thanks will looking to them and have a look. 

Gtm, jansen, cobra, hyundai etc all make decent enough wee chippers for occasional use. I'd go jeau beau or greenmech for constant use, peruzzo make a good machine capable of regular use too, but don't say that to the greenmech guys. 

Don't go for the smallest offerings. Minimum 13hp in a honda or 15 in a loncin would be OK, any smaller is just too slow and have tiny intakes. 

I've a gtm 1300 gts and it's a great little machine as long as its kept razor sharp. Bit of a struggle going up trailer ramps on your own with it but it'll fit anywhere a wheelbarrow will. Could do with 3 or 4 more hp but it does the job.

Just my two cents.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

As has been stated, most of the smaller chippers work surprisingly well. Depending on your budget and what you want, tracked or not. Lots of info out there. 

I have the Cobra 7hp wee chipper which is surprisingly good and pretty robust. I also have a 15HP Lumag Chipper which is very useful for bigger stuff in small spaces. Depending on your needs most of them are pretty good. 

The above is a good summary, except to say although purchase price higher I don't think you lose any more money on a greenmech or JoBeau as the resale value so good.

... and I wouldn't go TW13/75, I think the square infeed is too small and the output being at knee height is a pain you don't need, you can never chip into a trailer or van properly. It's an older design which is very solid but been superseded in my opinion.

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, Dan Maynard said:

The above is a good summary, except to say although purchase price higher I don't think you lose any more money on a greenmech or JoBeau as the resale value so good.

... and I wouldn't go TW13/75, I think the square infeed is too small and the output being at knee height is a pain you don't need, you can never chip into a trailer or van properly. It's an older design which is very solid but been superseded in my opinion.

Perfectly put Dan.

The drum chippers (with the GM CS100 being the gold standard) are just a much better design.

• Like 5