Failed CS38 - Looking for advice.

Jayouz

7 minutes ago, Doug Tait said:

Good bit of advice I had starting climbing was don't get bogged down failing at something time and again, change things and keep making progress, even if it's only a small move each time try to keep some momentum.

That applies to much of life tbh!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, josharb87 said:

How were you attempting to advance the rope/get the higher anchor point? 

After I was told not to use the carabiner anymore I bundled up a few loops, then a few wraps around the rope and had to try and throw that up and over.

9 minutes ago, Jayouz said:

After I was told not to use the carabiner anymore I bundled up a few loops, then a few wraps around the rope and had to try and throw that up and over.

Might be saying exactly what you’ve done (but haven’t mentioned)  but do what you say done but once you’ve a couple of wraps on a couple of loops, pull a bight of rope through and loop that over the coil, pull tight and you’ll now have a coil of rope that won’t unravel. (See pic below)
feed out another half meter of rope so the coild rope (I’ve always known it as a donkeys dick but google thinks that’s something else😂) is hanging a half meter down from your hand, and bundle a couple more loops onto that same hand, now you can hold the bundles of rope you’ve just done in your dominant hand and the tail in the other, get some swinging motion going and the coil of rope will act like a weight giving your throw more power and meaning as long as it’s just about over the branch, giving it a few flicks and it’ll come down easier.

practice this on the ground first 

the bundles/coils don’t need to be massive, less is more! 

once you’ve got the hang of this, you don’t need to lock off the coil of rope you use as a weight, just pass the bight through and hold onto that, then it’ll just unravel down to you once it’s over the branch 

E6D91257-3BCD-48A3-B1DF-E5FF2A503A4D.jpeg

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, josharb87 said:

Might be saying exactly what you’ve done (but haven’t mentioned)  but do what you say done but once you’ve a couple of wraps on a couple of loops, pull a bight of rope through and loop that over the coil, pull tight and you’ll now have a coil of rope that won’t unravel. (See pic below)
feed out another half meter of rope so the coild rope (I’ve always known it as a donkeys dick but google thinks that’s something else😂) is hanging a half meter down from your hand, and bundle a couple more loops onto that same hand, now you can hold the bundles of rope you’ve just done in your dominant hand and the tail in the other, get some swinging motion going and the coil of rope will act like a weight giving your throw more power and meaning as long as it’s just about over the branch, giving it a few flicks and it’ll come down easier.

once you’ve got the hang of this, you don’t need to lock off the coil of rope you use as a weight, just pass the bight through and hold onto that, then it’ll just unravel down to you once it’s over the branch 

Yea that's what I was doing, but had branches and twigs in the way, might've given it a quick prune if I had my silky with me! 😂

54 minutes ago, josharb87 said:

Remember to make sure you keep your pipe secure when you're throwing

• Haha 7

Free climbing up to your intended anchor point is the prefered method. It shows you have a head for hights and a flair for avant gard treework.

I like to wear my helmet set at a jaunty angle, not to mention my harlequin patterned chainsaw trousers remind any casual observers that to me this job is merely a way to earn a living.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

Another tip I don’t think anyone has mentioned is using a sling as a foot loop. If the branches are too far apart to climb like a ladder or reach up to then girth hitch a sling onto the stem and put your foot in it. 

I would steer clear of throwbags whilst you’re starting out. Learning how to coil rope as described above is essential. How will your progress if you drop your throwbag once day? Learn the basics first before buying any shiny kit. There will be plenty of time for that 😂

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mike Hill said:

Free climbing up to your intended anchor point is the prefered method. It shows you have a head for hights and a flair for avant gard treework.

I like to wear my helmet set at a jaunty angle, not to mention my harlequin patterned chainsaw trousers remind any casual observers that to me this job is merely a way to earn a living.

I have an old snake charmers flute that I bought from a mystic in India, I play a tune and the rope ascends out of my bag and up through the tree to my desired anchor point, it’s not CE marked though.

• Haha 1