How long's a piece of string? Or, how long to trim hedge?

sloth

I wasn't going to bother commenting, but now that there's pictures, I'll echo everyone else, as I was imagining something else from your description. 3 days for that? Shameful. 

Are you sure those are photos of the right place? Some mistake, surely. 

I'd guess the mistake is assuming all tree workers are equally motivated and productive.

For some it's the kind of job you would go to your "happy place" mentally, get your head down and finish it asap. For others it's whinge, procrastinate and make the misery last as long as possible.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, sloth said:

This pic is from Nov last year, so is what it looks like now. The customer has always trimmed it themselves in a day, but didn't fancy cutting it back hard. Definitely blackthorn.

When I quoted the job I thought "I'd do that myself in a day", so half day for 2 guys.

This is a new arrangement for me, quoting for someone else's company and jobs while the boss/owner isn't able to do it and be on site themselves. I've had three quotes I gave overrun now, one was probably fair enough, but this and the other had me questioning my expectations of the guys on the tools (and my own expectations and sanity!).

Cheers all...

Screenshot_20230319-092258.jpg

You have upset one of the lads and now they are taking the piss, would point out to their boss it's not you it's them. 

Were ever there next job is I would make a point of just dropping by and see how they work but to make sure they don't see you, not pleasant but if that's what has to be done to save your neck then be it. 

3 hours ago, josharb87 said:

A day for one by the looks of the picture! 
do the side then stand on the van/trailer with a 660 for the top 😆 

half hour at the end with loppers to tidy up the worse of the horrendous cuts 

spot on

2 hours ago, sloth said:

This is a new arrangement for me, quoting for someone else's company and jobs while the boss/owner isn't able to do it and be on site themselves. I've had three quotes I gave overrun now, one was probably fair enough, but this and the other had me questioning my expectations of the guys on the tools (and my own expectations and sanity!).

Cheers all...

Screenshot_20230319-092258.jpg

As I thought- it’s some guy (although turns out not you) trying to be too much of a big cheese on poxy domestic type jobs. 

So he employs a load of dross, gets you to quote, and surprise surprise, expectations don’t line up. 

He was probably only going to make a couple of hundred out of the job anyway. Any local firm with a small machine would make that extra £200 with no hassle in an honest way, without needing to rush around keeping a dozen brain dead morons off the streets/ketamine.