Why use girth / choke attachments?

Cuttup

This may seem like a strange question, but other than because the manufacturer tells us to....

Why use a girth hitch (choke) to attach a flying capstan (Portawarp etc.)  to a sling or dead eye?

You lose about 20% strength in doing so. Why not attach via a karabiner or shackle?

2 hours ago, Cuttup said:

This may seem like a strange question, but other than because the manufacturer tells us to....

Why use a girth hitch (choke) to attach a flying capstan (Portawarp etc.)  to a sling or dead eye?

You lose about 20% strength in doing so. Why not attach via a karabiner or shackle?

My Stein doodah thingy came with a 24mm dead eye sling with an MBS of 99kn i think it was. Even losing 20% this is way stronger that a Karabiner would be..

Interesting fact about the sling...It is a wonderously soft "slinky" lovely [in a sort of pervy way thing] Anyway, in work we have a Polish girl. Well, she is absolutely stunning.. Anyway, i showed her the sling and she had a feel of it and she went all kind of weird in a peculiar sort of way.. I kind of think some rather dirty thoughts were going through her pervy Polish mind!!!

john..

• Like 1

Maybe it's a Polish thing:  I was on a team working on veteran oaks and the young Polish lady ranger for the Common (married to one of our gang - no piss was taken, honest) used to express what can only be described as an almost sexual pleasure when a good fracture or tear was achieved when veteranising a tree.  'Ooooh - what a reep; that's byootiful'

Edited by nepia
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Cuttup said:

Well this has thread has taken a peculiar turn... are you suggesting that these slings/tears can also cause a weakness at the knees of around 20%?

It does appear so!!! I cannot really post a piccy of said young lady without asking her, but if i did, you would all be rushing out to buy 24mm stein dead eye slings!!.. I was going to demonstrate to her how i could anchor one end [say to her office desk] and then do a clove hitch, say 6 feet apart to each leg!! But, i feared she would not be able to control herself!!

john..

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, john87 said:

It does appear so!!! I cannot really post a piccy of said young lady without asking her, but if i did, you would all be rushing out to buy 24mm stein dead eye slings!!.. I was going to demonstrate to her how i could anchor one end [say to her office desk] and then do a clove hitch, say 6 feet apart to each leg!! But, i feared she would not be able to control herself!!

john..

So we were previously alluding to a newly discovered type of rope fetish (possibly a Polish penchant), whereas we now seem to be going back to a more familiar variety of rope fetish. Can't beat a good Arbtalk derail! 

• Like 1