How busy are you at the moment

Excels1or

@swinny yep, running costs pretty mad haha. 

image.png.257632f875bcef45de500ab378034e90.png

However we do consistently do 33kish + VAT a month. This month was a whopper at 40k + VAT 

You just get through work so quickly at this level so I have to keep bringing it in. The mewp hire is only just taking off so that should help increase income. 

As you can tell, i really don't care if people see my finances, what have we all got to hide?  

• Like 5

Work enquiries for me have virtually dried up. Have gone from looking at 6-8 jobs a week to 1 maybe 2. Even the large estates I do work for where normally money isn’t a problem have all gone very quiet and seem to be saving money where possible. Had two week long jobs accepted this week which keeps me happier. Means we’re still 4-5 weeks behind. Have noticed that normally where I win 3 in 4 of the work I quote that’s gone down to maybe 1-4. There’s an awful lot of people round me that are quoting work stupidly low just to win the jobs and bring in a few quid. Ultimately all that means is people are running around doing 3-4 jobs in a day badly to get a half decent wage and then bringing down the price of what is deemed the average day rate. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, tim361 said:

Ultimately all that means is people are running around doing 3-4 jobs in a day badly to get a half decent wage and then bringing down the price of what is deemed the average day rate

They will only be able to do that for so long before the staff quit 

4 minutes ago, Mike Hill said:

We saw all this before from 2008 to about 2010.

Its just a fact that when people feel the pinch the last thing they spend money on are their Trees.

That is true but it still amazes me when you go to look at a job and they start reeling a list off..... 

I want this and this and this and that and that aswell and ohh yes cut all that up whilst here for firewood  and do this and that and this and that.....

And im thinking ffs, slow down and suggest maybe doing stuff in stages..... 

But nope, send a quote through and those that wanted the world on a plate suddenly go all quiet 🤫🙃

• Like 3

A first and a funny one I had this last year was someone owed me short of 300 quid for a small job.... started paying in dribs and drabbs! 

So a 300 quid job from start of Nov lastly year still owes 100 quid 😮 

Some folk will be majorly struggling.

I just can't understand why my customer above even bothered getting me to do the works if they couldn't afford it

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, swinny said:

That is true but it still amazes me when you go to look at a job and they start reeling a list off..... 

I want this and this and this and that and that aswell and ohh yes cut all that up whilst here for firewood  and do this and that and this and that.....

And im thinking ffs, slow down and suggest maybe doing stuff in stages..... 

But nope, send a quote through and those that wanted the world on a plate suddenly go all quiet 🤫🙃

You can weed most of those type of clients out at the initial contact. They tend to be either :

Wanting to know how much it costs to cut down a Tree?

Or

"I have a few things I was thinking about having someone do."

Get them to send pictures, price high and forget them.

• Like 4

Guy brings in a Stihl saw

'Do you service Stihl?'

'Yes we do. Is it an annual service, and is it running fine with no current issues?'

'Well, I lent it to my neighbour and now it won't start'

'Well, a service is normally for a working machine, and is designed to keep it that way. A service will cost you XXX, but if you have a pre-existing problem, such as non starting, then you could be looking at more on top of that figure'

'Well, don't service it then. Just get it going.........oh, and can you check the recoil coz it's squeaking, and stick a new plug in it- might as well while you have it, and sharpen the chain...and give it a bit of a clean up'

(but DOESN'T want a service!!! 🤣)

Get that all the time.

I have a recurring situation where there’s a tree that the (80 or so year old plus) clients have fretted about. Most recently a perfectly decent white poplar over a chicken run, they want it removed cos they think it’s a danger but  have balked at the price, understandably imo.

So I try to explain (as sensitively as I can) that in all probability they will be dead and I will be long retired before it really becomes an issue, so why don’t we knock a few low branches off over the chicken run for a few hundred bucks and call it good. 

The relief I see in their faces is enough to warm a heart even as cold as mine.

Point being, try and find out what really is the driving force behind their call to you and address that first.

• Like 7