Which battery powered drill for eco plugs

Tom Richards

47 minutes ago, doobin said:

It’s not often I disagree with you mate but I have to here. A twist bit is just as cheap, sharpening and wear just won’t be a factor in the intended application. Above all it’s so much quicker, which is the main factor in such a repetitive job as drilling eco plugs. 

Nothing wrong with disagreeing with me we can all live and learn.

Firstly I dislike ecoplugs, they are expensive and long term plastic litter. The bloke that sold the idea to network rail must have got a good bonus, especially for getting them to specify them for all broadleaved species stumps.

I only inserted a few hundred myself, with Stihl bt45 drill (which was good but discontinued I think., but the firm bought them by the thousands.

As you say the cost of drills was insignificant so despite my efforts to get them returned for sharpening few came back. Profits were so high upper management were not interested in looking after the pennies.

It is ten years since but I bought the brad points by the dozen and they were cheaper than jobber twist drills. Also easier to sharpen using two faces of the grinder stone, just two grinds and done. For a short hole there is more clearance at the cutter and the frass drops away between holes.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, gdh said:

I've always been impressed with my Milwaukee drills but for hardwood drilling I also use an impact wrench to replace petrol drills which are quicker and no risk of hurting your wrist 

The Germans do know how to make cracking tools . The Milwaukee fuel One Key stuff is top banana . I realize they are an American company but some of my tools say made in Germany and the latest "one key " fuel drill say mad in the P.R.C. !

Edited by Stubby

10 or so years ago Milwaukee tools were always a low rent budget brand. Sold in America, made in the far east. Spent shed loads on marketing in the Europe and the UK trying to raise the profile and now promoted as a 'quality' product. They are not.....same stuff, just higher prices. Awful stuff..on par with Black & Decker, but at least B&D don't pretend to be anything other than B&Q quality.

UK.TRUSTPILOT.COM

Do you agree with Milwaukee Tool's TrustScore? Voice your opinion today and hear what 156 customers have already said.

1 hour ago, pleasant said:

10 or so years ago Milwaukee tools were always a low rent budget brand. Sold in America, made in the far east. Spent shed loads on marketing in the Europe and the UK trying to raise the profile and now promoted as a 'quality' product. They are not.....same stuff, just higher prices. Awful stuff..on par with Black & Decker, but at least B&D don't pretend to be anything other than B&Q quality.

UK.TRUSTPILOT.COM

Do you agree with Milwaukee Tool's TrustScore? Voice your opinion today and hear what 156 customers have already said.

Got to disagree entirely on that one . They may have been poor back in the day but are certainly top spec now .  I watched a recent , independent test with Bosch , DeWalt , Makita and a few others . Not much between the top 3 but the Milwaukee was the only one that did not stall trying to put a massive bolt into a lump of timber . 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pleasant said:

UK.TRUSTPILOT.COM

Sorry mate but you are so out of touch here it’s unreal. 

Milwaukee lead the pack, in numerous trades. I’m a total convert for almost all my gear. this is my bench currently, you can’t say they don’t stand up to pro use! I was Makita through and through before. The impact gear and grinders in particular totally outclass Makita, comparing like for like- top of the range 18v models. Often cheaper too. 

What I really like about them is that they don’t rest on their laurels. They innovate. They’ve just brought out the first battery mini file grinder in the world- I wanted battery years ago when I was looking for one but no luck. It’s not just a basic file grinder- it’s totally variable speed with two speed ranges, has a worklight, superb ergonomics and you can run it in reverse if needed to throw the sparks the other way. They didn’t just bring out something to take advantage of a gap in the market- they brought out something near enough perfect. 

You should look into the m12 stuff in particular. Amazing power for such tiny things. 

F6A42DA8-B431-4390-8400-6B9CD15C10BA.jpeg

7B42EA9E-BB8A-43ED-9AD1-5D9088F04F00.jpeg

Edited by doobin
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, doobin said:

Sorry mate but you are so out of touch here it’s unreal. 

Milwaukee lead the pack, in numerous trades. I’m a total convert for almost all my gear. this is my bench currently, you can’t say they don’t stand up to pro use! I was Makita through and through before. The impact gear and grinders in particular totally outclass Makita, comparing like for like- top of the range 18v models. Often cheaper too. 

What I really like about them is that they don’t rest on their laurels. They innovate. They’ve just brought out the first battery mini file grinder in the world- I wanted battery years ago when I was looking for one but no luck. It’s not just a basic file grinder- it’s totally variable speed with two speed ranges, has a worklight, superb ergonomics and you can run it in reverse if needed to throw the sparks the other way. They didn’t just bring out something to take advantage of a gap in the market- they brought out something near enough perfect. 

You should look into the m12 stuff in particular. Amazing power for such tiny things. 

F6A42DA8-B431-4390-8400-6B9CD15C10BA.jpeg

7B42EA9E-BB8A-43ED-9AD1-5D9088F04F00.jpeg

My two M18 drills are Gen 3 which has a digital clutch and soft start . The newer Gen 4 as gone back to a mechanical clutch and no soft start . Think I would prefer the Gen 3 but not tried the Gen 4 .

Edited by Stubby

16 minutes ago, monkeybusiness said:

Milwaukee Fuel kit is the dogs bollocks, the non-Fuel is a more budget offering. 

The M18 Fuel " one key " is interesting . You can alter the parameters of things ( not that I have ) but also you can track where it is through an app on your phone . Helpful for sight work maybe .