Air compressors.. which kind to get & what do you use yours for?

Cordata

Everywhere I've worked before has had an air compressor for cleaning out the gubbins that builds up in a chainsaw.

All I knew about them is that they made a racket while pressurising, and they had a small metal nozzle thing with a trigger to pull to shoot air out

I'm looking to buy my own but I don't know what to go for, is there much to consider? Do you use yours for anything other than cleaning out machinery?

belt drive is quieter than direct drive. The bigger the tank the less it needs to refill but the longer it’s running for each time.

In the old days you would of wanted enough air flow for air tools but now battery tools win so it’s not so much of a consideration but the higher the CFM the quicker it will fill and the more tools it will run.

if your just wanting to blow a saw out and pump up a tyre a small 25l one from toolstation/screw fix etc will do you.

don’t forget to drain the water from the tank regularly.

• Like 2

Just now, Mark Bolam said:

How do you do that Will?

I haven’t drained my cheapo one in about 20 years!

Little brass drain bung underneath. Make sure there’s 100psi in it before unscrewing. See my recent post on this subject for further edification. 

• Haha 1

Only crack the bung open enough to let a good flow of air/water out, if you undo it completely it will fire round the shed bouncing off anything breakable or with shiney paint to finally stop in the darkest corner into which you dare not venture with out your mummy holding your hand, if your lucky enough to have the vaguest clue where this elusive spot is (I found mine years later when moving workshop 🤦‍♂️)

Edited by Will C
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

Great workshop tool, you can power an airline for cleaning, rattle gun/impact driver, tyre pump, staple gun, nail gun etc. 

Anyone in arb should own one to clean their tools.

I started with a no tank compressor so it was pumping against the airline and you had to pulse the trigger, the next one had a 15L tank but the brushes went, the last one cost £45, had a brushless motor and 24L tank and has been perfect...noisy but perfect. 

They are great tools and have converted many, bored many others about how good they are.

• Like 3

A compressor is one tool that I dont know how I managed withou(but I did for about 20 years!) Apart from the odd tyre inflation I exclusively use it with a snozzle to blow stuff off and outta stuff.

But I need a smaller one since the 100l takes to long to build pressure for a wee fiddlefart of a job.

• Like 1