Yell advertising , is it worth it ?

Newtons

Had quite a long call with yell today and for £250 they are saying that could generate on average 30-50 calls a month 

taking that with a pinch of salt, even if it’s 20 I think that could be profitable as I’m just starting out and need as much traffic as possible. 

Has anyone used it, and what do you think of them ?

18 minutes ago, Newtons said:

Had quite a long call with yell today and for £250 they are saying that could generate on average 30-50 calls a month 

taking that with a pinch of salt, even if it’s 20 I think that could be profitable as I’m just starting out and need as much traffic as possible. 

I assume you mean £250 per month?  If so, tread carefully, how are they going to get you leads?  Or is it just prominence on the web?  If the latter does this need to link to a professional looking website to work?

Effective marketing can be complicated, and a lot may depend on who the local competition is.

I’m not saying don’t do it but give us arbtalkers more details and you may get some useful feedback.

28 minutes ago, Newtons said:

Also correct the thread title - it is quite misleading.  I thought you were considering TV advertising (Telly)!  I had visions of an advert in the middle of salvage hunters for a local tree surgeon…!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Squaredy said:

Also correct the thread title - it is quite misleading.  I thought you were considering TV advertising (Telly)!  I had visions of an advert in the middle of salvage hunters for a local tree surgeon…!

It’s just on there website so if people search “tree surgeons “ in the areas that I cover I’ll come up on the top 5 in the list for the 12 month period,  and yes it is a monthly cost. 
in 18 geographical areas near me,  there was 470 searches last month. 

2 minutes ago, Will C said:

Screams rip off to me, what happens when others pay the same fee, who is at the top then? I would speak to a good website seo guy, reckon they will give you better value for money .

@Steve Bullman could be a good starting point.

And what about if the punter simply goes to Google and searches?  Does anyone use Yell these days?

I agree  Mr Bullman might be a better bet.  I believe he advertises on this forum somewhere…

250 a month is a lot of money a year. My entire yearly advertising costs less than 250, but I have been going a while.

I have a website by Steve Bullman and recently restarted bing ads, I found Google ads a rip off.

I suppose you could give Yell a 2 or 3 month trial and see if it pays off, so long as you aren't committed to a 1 yr+ contract. Long term I would look at other ways of promotion.

J.

Edited by jfc
Clarity

• Steve Bullman changed the title to Yell advertising , is it worth it ?