Entry level saw.

Quarryman

2 hours ago, coppice cutter said:

Maybe better when it goes?

Anecdotally, seems to be more warranty claims on them than would be ideal.

After all, what's still being made as well as it used to be!

I can't say from experience as I have never had either Mk1 or Mk2 . Just from other peeps reports that the Mk2  is better all round and more reliable  I don't need one as I still have a spud ported 346 . 🙂

• Like 2

On 09/02/2023 at 20:44, Quarryman said:

Hey all,

I currently run a 550 and a 390 and am looking for suggestions for an entry level saw for my 16 year old son.  He's a sensible lad and just started a weekend job helping a local forester. Rightly or wrongly I've always said he needs to get some proper training before he can use our saws but as he's now getting that I think it's time for him to have his own.

All advice welcome :)

Regards,

Matt

Try a 545 which is the semi pro version of the 550 lacks the rev boost but it is a little more controllable for the newbie. I do a lot of training and  many people turn up with two much saw for them.  If he is going to go into full time cutting then maybe a 550 is a way to go but spend the extra for the heated handles. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Brushcutter said:

Try a 545 which is the semi pro version of the 550 lacks the rev boost but it is a little more controllable for the newbie. I do a lot of training and  many people turn up with two much saw for them.  If he is going to go into full time cutting then maybe a 550 is a way to go but spend the extra for the heated handles. 

Thanks Brushcutter, good to hear a trainers point of view.

Not sure if full time cutting is on the cards and also and a massive hindrance at the moment is our budget!

Hoping not to be laughed off the forum but it looks like all we will be able to afford is maybe a 435 or similar.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Quarryman said:

Thanks Brushcutter, good to hear a trainers point of view.

Not sure if full time cutting is on the cards and also and a massive hindrance at the moment is our budget!

Hoping not to be laughed off the forum but it looks like all we will be able to afford is maybe a 435 or similar.

From little acorns ...

• Like 2

On 10/02/2023 at 20:10, Quarryman said:

Yes it is an XP, few years old now. Heard recently that the newer versions are proving troublesome??? 

Sorry my bad, I should have been more specific, more recently manufactured Mark2's have been having issues. Allegedly since country of manufacture changed???

14 hours ago, Stubby said:

Odd innit ? my 2011 560 is still going strong . Tweaked by petemate on here though . 

What batch was yours? Mine was the very first run available in the uk I believe, I put it down to teething issues. I was able to keep it going for nine years so it did a good shift, but it was always very temperamental. Needed far too much maintenance to keep it running sweet. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mr. Squirrel said:

What batch was yours? Mine was the very first run available in the uk I believe, I put it down to teething issues. I was able to keep it going for nine years so it did a good shift, but it was always very temperamental. Needed far too much maintenance to keep it running sweet. 

Mine is an early batch but without going to get it I can't give you any numbers . It was very temperamental in the beginning. Hot start was a pain and it would sometimes cut out mid cut !  It had some things done under warranty , a new carb and a hotter plug . This was all in the first couple of weeks . I then sent it to Petemate who ports saws and he did some stuff to it and from then on it was totally reliable .