Entry level saw.

Quarryman

11 minutes ago, carlos said:

just curious why you find a 346xp better than a 550? 

probably build / engineering quality.  I think the saw mechanics really appreciate the 3 series huskies as being some of the best thought out / put together stuff there is. Like most things this quality is a little diluted on newer things. That doesn't take away from the performance of a 550. 

Same with most if not all brands. I have a lovely Stihl 064 made in West Germany so mid eighties id guess, still a dream to use. Can't imagine any 500i being around in 30 plus years...

• Like 5

8 hours ago, lux said:

probably build / engineering quality.  I think the saw mechanics really appreciate the 3 series huskies as being some of the best thought out / put together stuff there is. Like most things this quality is a little diluted on newer things. That doesn't take away from the performance of a 550. 

Same with most if not all brands. I have a lovely Stihl 064 made in West Germany so mid eighties id guess, still a dream to use. Can't imagine any 500i being around in 30 plus years...

Agreed . I have a 346 ( albeit Spud ported ) and I am sure it performs as well as a 550 but without the dark art of A/T 🙂

I have a 346XP, same as Stubbys and it always brings a smile to the face. Light, good AV, revs like a wasp on steroids and picks up like nothing else and is soooooo good to use.

I reckon the 3 series Huskys were some of the best saws out there and some of the best to take modification that takes them to the next level. 

• Like 3

i have a 346 and love it but i couldnt honestly tell much difference between it and a 550, that said if i was offered a choice of either new id go 346.

i would echo luxs comments on newer build, i bought a small husky strimmer on the back of my old one doing me well, the new one feels terrible, so much plastic, i wouldnt be surprised if the engine was some sort of plastic, now it strims ok but the revs and power is very odd compared to other strimmers i have used.

now the 254 i have has some metal in it! and cuts great for a bit then plays up and goes back in the van, still for its age it cuts well. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, spudulike said:

The 254 is another fine machine. The first one I ported was scary as to how the pick up changed...again light and powerful....great saws.

Agreed . Bread and butter saw through the 80s

• Like 1