Newb question - pitch and file size.

jonin69

Hi,

My understanding is file size is generally based on the pitch of a chain. So for a .325 pitch the file size is 4.8 mm.

However, based on this this chain which also has a .325 pitch the recommended file size is 4mm:

CHAIN-SP21G-14"
593 91 41-59 - HUSQVARNA SP21G CHAIN 14" - 59DL

Presumably that is because it’s a (mini) with smaller cutting teeth than standard?

What I’m unsure about and trying to determine is can I use this 2 in 1 file sharpener (I love these for ease of use) even though it  is marked as 3/8 since really the file is still 4mm.

WWW.EBAY.CO.UK

[Efficient Use]: The chainsaw sharpening kit is not only fast but also accurate. It will sharpen your blunt...

Or is there more to it than that and it still might not be compatible?

Appreciate any advice.  

Cheers!

Edited by jonin69

You are correct, generally the file size is based on pitch but also gauge and manufacturer.

That file is marked 3/8P, which is the thin gauge low profile Stihl chain rather than full size 3/8. It's a 4.0mm file, I would say it'll be fine.

Within reason the file size is not too important when using a file guide like this, the important thing is the angle on the top face created by the slope on the file, which means how far below the top plate the file is working.

For example Oregon recommend 4.5 other  3/8P chain (90vxl) but Stihl recommend 4.0,  i haven't got any 4.5 files so I use 4.0 and it cuts just fine.

Other thing is depth gauge on the tooth but more or less every chain is set to the same 0.025" so you have that covered in the 2 in 1.

Thanks for your helpful response which clears up the file size. 

However, I’m still unsure then of what is the indicator for knowing that the file guide will create the correct angle on the top face of the chain? For the avoidance of doubt do you think the file guide I linked would be good for business with CHAIN-SP21G-14"

Think they have been politely saying, don't bother with the all in one tool.

Buy a normal cheap sharpening kit, learn how to do it by hand, shouldn't take more than 3 minutes on a 14".

We've all bought gimmicks, guides etc.

In all honesty the kit makes you learn the angles of dangle and teaches you through experience the importance of the right angles and chip shape when cutting.

6 hours ago, jonin69 said:

Thanks for your input adw but that doesn’t  really answer my question. Specifically I’m trying to determine what if any (2 in 1) file guide would work with this chain.

I'm not a big fan of the roller guide that ADW kindly pictured above . They are fine when they are new but in the distant past I seem to recall that the rollers soon wear down thus dropping the file below the correct height . ( 1/5th of file diameter above the cutter top plate ) and giving the cutter too much hook . A normal Oregon type file plate that the file clamps to with all the relevant angles marked on will be much better IMHO . The a separate flat file for the depth gauges/rakers  is fine. Just me .  

Edited by Stubby

Appreciate and going to take on board all the advice.

It still would be good to know definitively the answer to my actual question though  i.e a yes or no in terms of compatibility for listed 2 in 1 guide with that particular chain. I’ve never considered the 2in1 a gimmick for my other standard / bigger saws and see benefits to using them. 

Nevertheless, I have bought the standard file kit adw listed and will

hone my sharpening skills. 

Thanks all. 

22 hours ago, jonin69 said:

Thanks for your helpful response which clears up the file size. 

However, I’m still unsure then of what is the indicator for knowing that the file guide will create the correct angle on the top face of the chain? For the avoidance of doubt do you think the file guide I linked would be good for business with CHAIN-SP21G-14"

Shorter answer, yes you would be fine with the 2 in 1.

The angle is created by the file being the right distance below the top plate, too high and you get a flat front to the tooth, too low and the top of the tooth is too much of a hook.

The 2 in 1 is resting on the top plate so it can only create the right angle, it's built in to the guide (as long as you hold steady and don't bend the file by pushing too hard).

I don't use them but these things have a place, give it a few strokes to sharpen as soon as the edge starts to go, maybe every 2 or 3 tanks of fuel, rather than letting the chain blunt and then doing a massive amount of work filing. Just like a penknife, easier and better to keep it sharp with a little and often than let it ever get blunt.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Stubby said:

I'm not a big fan of the roller guide that ADW kindly pictured above . They are fine when they are new but in the distant past I seem to recall that the rollers soon wear down thus dropping the file below the correct height . ( 1/5th of file diameter above the cutter top plate ) and giving the cutter too much hook . A normal Oregon type file plate that the file clamps to with all the relevant angles marked on will be much better IMHO . The a separate flat file for the depth gauges/rakers  is fine. Just me .  

funny i have been using my husky roller guide with no problems prefer it to the origon file plate .

just my views and as my wife will tell you they dont count.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1