best chain for electric chainsaw

herby1

1 minute ago, pleasant said:

Good man. Ho ho

Time served tool maker C+G engineering cert back in the day so I understand the mechanics of it . I know you like to be a bit pedantic about the cause but " stretch " is a convenient term for most ordinary Joes to convey whats happened .  I hate it when people say some thing is " hydroscopic " when in fact its hygroscopic  ( as in nylon absorbing moisture . 🙂

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Stubby said:

Time served tool maker C+G engineering cert back in the day so I understand the mechanics of it . I know you like to be a bit pedantic about the cause but " stretch " is a convenient term for most ordinary Joes to convey whats happened .  I hate it when people say some thing is " hydroscopic " when in fact its hygroscopic  ( as in nylon absorbing moisture . 🙂

Yeah....I do understand. I don't like to preach, would rather advise and educate. Normally it's my weeked warriors that use the term stretch. I usually say something but don't dwell on it, but when they say will this oregon chain ive got from you stretch as bad as the chinese one on my screwfix piece of landfill, I then go into 'education' mode. 😇

Edited by pleasant
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Everyone I know uses stretch rather than worn with regards to chains that hang loose after a few minutes.

I suspect they always will, maybe best to get used to it.

Hmmm....maybe. Like i said earlier igenerally don't say much. How about the classic ' may i have a new blade for my CHAINsaw?'

'Do you mean the bar....the long flat thing that sticks out the front of your CHAINsaw, or a CHAIN?'

' a new chain please'

I' m not really being awkward, as i genuinely have had customers mean a bar, and if they come a long way to collect after we assumed its a chain they need and not a bar and we are out of stock, they arent too happy!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, spudulike said:

Yeah, bloody customers, would be great without them wouldn't it ;)

I think everyone in a repair/service job that is customer facing gets frustrated with their little foibles! 

Yeah...job would be so much easier if it weren't for the customers ho ho

I fit a lot of motorcycle chain and sprocket sets every year and they behave the same way.

People think they 'stretch' after fitting but they don't, they just bed in to the sprockets which takes a mile or two because they're packed with the thickest, stickiest, grease you could ever image at the factory.

Beyond that, they wear in different ways depending on how they're treated but what really matters is how much they stretch, what doesn't matter in practical terms is how it does it.

53 minutes ago, pleasant said:

Hmmm....maybe. Like i said earlier igenerally don't say much. How about the classic ' may i have a new blade for my CHAINsaw?'

'Do you mean the bar....the long flat thing that sticks out the front of your CHAINsaw, or a CHAIN?'

' a new chain please'

I' m not really being awkward, as i genuinely have had customers mean a bar, and if they come a long way to collect after we assumed its a chain they need and not a bar and we are out of stock, they arent too happy!

" Chopping "  down a tree with a saw . Be much easier if you started it up and cut it down . 🙂

• Haha 3

Another for chain stretch here … definitely the industry ‘term’ used to describe it. Yeah the rivets bed in and wear a tiny amount and the chain is now longer because of it.  So therefore it has ‘stretched’ , everyone knows we aren’t talking an elastic band here, it’s just a term to describe it.  

• Like 6