SRT/ddrt rope recommendations please

Carteeni

Sorry if this topic has come up before.

Climber here who has only climbed ddrt, I’m looking to get into SRT. 
What rope would everyone recommend for SRT AND drt. Something stiff enough for SRT but also able to tie knots in as I would use it for both methods, I was thinking either drenaline or tachyon but if anyone has any other suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

It will be for a rope runner and jetstep.

would 45 metres be long enough to do most trees with a base anchor because pulling 60m through on doubled rope would be pain. 
also a good knee ascender suggestion would be appreciated too.

thanks

Drenaline and Tach have too much bounce for SRT.

I’ve found none-CE Donaghys Cougar Blue to be great for both.

Nod at Treeworker can usually get it.

Mine is 50m.

There’s probably loads of new stuff out now that is as good or better.

I also use the Jet Step, teamed up with a HAAS Velox 2.0.

• Like 3

i use 60m of tefelburger Xstatic , it works great on srt with the rope runner, i also use it drt with a lockjack, its super stiff and runs well, the downside is it can be hard to grip with your hands and it doesnt have an eyesplice.

most of our treees are small but i still find the longer rope handy on occasion and the excess just stays in the rope bag when not needed.

i made my own knee asscender from a chest asscender, there are a few threads on here about making them, pretty straight forward to do.

carl

• Like 1

Cheers guys il look into those ropes and that knee ascender.

I think I am going to need a rope with a splice because I’ve read when using the rope runner in drt that you need to keep the two lines apart and I think having to tie a bowline would clutter up the bride, so I was going to get either a notch rook or hydra pulley or even the old style hitch climber and clip the rope runner into the far right hole and the spliced eye into the far left hole

Another one for xstatic , the non ce cougar blue is a very good rope , feels like a more traditional rope in hand all though the xstatic seems to feel better for ascenders and is lighter but is more brutal on your hands.. but it’s not as bad as some as the cheese wire on the market, it’s a nice compromise I think. 
has velux for me … although mine needs replacing so watching this thread. 

I usually climb On a 45m x static although I do have a 60m one .. to be honest I don’t find it that bad and it does some in handy for setting isolated anchors instead of base… you just set the working end to ground height and pull harder on retrieving 😆

Marlow Vega is an 11.7mm CE EN1891, UKCA certified rope whilst being compliant with ANSI Z133. This light weight arborist climbing rope, currently boasts the lowest elongation on the market (1.2%). 

Has anyone tried the rope above to use for drt and srt. 

Comes with a splice end and has a lower elongated then xstatic. 

I also use Xstatic but only climb SRT these days. 

1 minute ago, treevolution said:

Marlow Vega is an 11.7mm CE EN1891, UKCA certified rope whilst being compliant with ANSI Z133. This light weight arborist climbing rope, currently boasts the lowest elongation on the market (1.2%). 

Has anyone tried the rope above to use for drt and srt. 

Comes with a splice end and has a lower elongated then xstatic. 

I also use Xstatic but only climb SRT these days. 

I'd need some serious convincing to try Marlow ropes again after past experiences.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have the static Courant squire v2 and that’s a lovely rope for both srt and ddrt (when needed). Mines 60m as I think you need it for base anchors on some trees, I use a zigzag and it runs well although I’m getting a bit of slippage now as the rope is pretty thin-meant to be 11.5mm I think but definitely feels thinner.