SRT/ddrt rope recommendations please

Carteeni

X static seems to be the best by everyone’s reviews but it can’t be spliced. And I need a splice on it for connecting via carabiner to a notch rook on the Bridge for DRT. Currently running a hitchclimber on a 25m cousin black widow (would highly recommend for drt) it’s amazing when your pulling it through but it is very short so I can’t get my saw refilled when I’m up a big tree. So I was going to get a 45 or 60m for big stuff and also to use for SRT. What would be the closest thing to x static that can be spliced? How does Teufelberger fly do on SRT?

I climb ddrt on Yale Hedera, haven't done enough SRT to tell you if it's any good but it is supposed to be:

The characteristics of Hedera 117 delivers one of the most static, spliceable lines on the market to date. Ideal for use with traditional climbing techniques and single rope technique (SRT).

2 hours ago, Carteeni said:

Thinking of going 45m for a rope that is good for SRT and has a splice for now, and then after a few months of getting better at SRT buying an x static that will be used only for SRT

then id say the rope mark suggested would suit, non CE marked cougar blue, i used to use it and liked it.

you can get the same rope with a CE mark but i belive its got a slightly diffferent construction which makes it a bit bouncier for srt .

i know a couple of people who climb with and like the courant squire v2, but again that doesnt have a splice.

id say if you had the money a 45m spliced cougar blue and 60m xstatic or courant ( cheaper i belive) would cover  everything. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

+1 for Xstatic. I have a 60m length which I went for for tall trees when base tied. Its great. And I dont miss a splice on it as its mainly base tied.

Other wise I have multiple lengths of Tachyon 15m - 35m for other stuff. It's a great rope, but does bounce a bit. No where near drenaline bounce. But after using x static I shall move towards more static when there get replaced. Probably Couger will be next as it comes it multiple colours which is good for 2 ropes.

Edited by StephenMews

• 4 weeks later...
On 05/01/2023 at 16:59, Treetom15 said:

I have the static Courant squire v2 and that’s a lovely rope for both srt and ddrt (when needed). Mines 60m as I think you need it for base anchors on some trees, I use a zigzag and it runs well although I’m getting a bit of slippage now as the rope is pretty thin-meant to be 11.5mm I think but definitely feels thinner.

I also like this rope but only use it  a 30m on a MRS as it's too bouncy on SRT.

I use 60m non CE Cougar Blue on SRT and it's like still wire. Love that.

• Like 1

Going to break the mould and say I hated xstatic when I tried it. Way too stiff for my liking.
 Kernmaster both ce and non ce is really nice srt, though quite thing for mrs. Non ce cougar as others have said is a nice rope.
I’ve been using the courant kalimba since the summer. I didn’t have great expectations of it as it’s a bit thicker than I’d usually go for, but it’s really sweet. Runs beautifully with a hitch climber, zig zag, wrench and rrp. Highly recommend. Only downside is the skinny eye. It did go through my vt once when advancing my anchor. That was a pickle. My hitch was crazy loose tbf though

• 1 month later...
On 08/02/2023 at 22:33, Mr. Squirrel said:

Going to break the mould and say I hated xstatic when I tried it. Way too stiff for my liking.
 Kernmaster both ce and non ce is really nice srt, though quite thing for mrs. Non ce cougar as others have said is a nice rope.
I’ve been using the courant kalimba since the summer. I didn’t have great expectations of it as it’s a bit thicker than I’d usually go for, but it’s really sweet. Runs beautifully with a hitch climber, zig zag, wrench and rrp. Highly recommend. Only downside is the skinny eye. It did go through my vt once when advancing my anchor. That was a pickle. My hitch was crazy loose tbf though

Just looking at a new rope too and was wondering about the kalimba, have you tried poison ivy and could comment on the difference? 
Personally i would massively recomend Poison Ivy for srt and mrs, but just wondering whether to branch out.