A little advice

trying

The 545 and 550xp are for the most part the same saw. The real difference between the two is the ignition coil and crank stuffers. The piston and cylinder are the same.

Crank stuffer simply reduce the volume in the crankcase, this increases base/crankcase pressure as the piston moves downward. This increases the velocity of the charge in the transfers, filling the combustion chamber faster. Out of the box the 550xp will have a little more power, but it's a very small difference. When ported some actually prefer the 545 because it has more case volume.

From another forum.

Unsure if this might effect long term reliability?

545 sounds nice saw but price new isn't much different from the 550 ?

The new echo  CS-4310SX looks really good but is expensive  so is the ms241 in 40cc saws compared to the 50cc ones.

Edited by Stere
  • Like 1

im no expert but i would go for the best pro saw you can afford , why well when i started carrying a saw in the back of the landy when off roading ,and for weekend cutting i had a efco mt 370 a good saw in its own right . but when i upgraded to my 560xp the 370 just sits under the bench as a back up saw .

the differance is night and day .

• Like 2

On 28/12/2022 at 19:35, Stubby said:

Are you in tomorrow at your yard ? I could come up for a cuppa tea if you are not bizzy ? 

that would have been great but as you relied to the wrong person I didn’t get the memo 🤣 I’ve probably (but I live in hope) got a problem with a sewage pumping system to sort tomorrow morning, but we should  hopefully be back in the yard processing some logs in the afternoon? Gives ya time to sort the hangover out 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, openspaceman said:

I know nothing about the 357 but the early 346 had a smaller diameter piston than the later ones.

I had an early one from new but it was given to my boss's son who seized it and after a few years it came back to me as a box of bits. Repaired it is my go to ground/snedding saw.

I had the early one before it went to 50cc . It had no de comp and was a cracking little saw . Very akin to the 242xp me thinks . It got stolen by some council worker from out of the chipper .

Edited by Stubby
  • Like 2