A little advice

trying

Hi all,

New user although I've been browsing here for several years.

I'm looking at a new 45-50cc replacement saw. This is to replace an old Husky and a cheapy Titan. My bigger saws are Husqvarna and an Echo so I've been looking at the Husqvarna 450 (or possibly 455?) and Echo CS501.

I'm not keen on a clamshell design (is the 450?) and call me old fashioned but I'm not keen on autotune equipped saws like 550 so maybe leaning towards the Echo?

Any thoughts and recommendations on either much appreciated...

Edited by trying

450 and 455 are both so called clamshell design, these are semi pro saws, if you want a spit crankcase design it will have to be a more pro saw, which is going to be auto tune, 545 is a nice saw or 555 if you want bigger, there is nothing wrong with auto tune we are into the fourth generation now so I hear virtually no issues with it.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, pleasant said:

The Echo CS-501SX is a full pro spec saw with a pro spec engine ie, one with a removable head, thus without having to remove a clamshell type engine from the cradle, and no carb electronic wizzardry.

Fits your bill and is excellent quality.

It's technically pro quality and I like the two year pro warranty but unforunately it's just rubbish in so many other ways. Mine kept dropping bits. Spares availability for basic parts of the chainbrake assembly was awful.

I wanted to like it, I really did, but it's just not a patch on the equivalent Stihl. It's still on rubbers rather than springs FFS- a pro level saw! The captive nuts are a shite workaround on the Stihl patent. The chain tensioning/bar fitting is a nightmare. The felling lines are useless. The handles feel sharp. The fuel caps aren't tool-less. Other stuff I've forgotten. Started not wanting to start first pull from warm after six months use.

I'm back to an MS241 and MS261 now and they are so much nice to use. Despite the arrogance of Stihl and their naff attitude to warranty.

OP- where are you based?

Edited by doobin

3 minutes ago, doobin said:

It's technically pro quality and I like the two year pro warranty but unforunately it's just rubbish in so many other ways. Mine kept dropping bits. Spares availability for basic parts of the chainbrake assembly was awful.

I wanted to like it, I really did, but it's just not a patch on the equivalent Stihl. It's still on rubbers rather than springs FFS- a pro level saw! The captive nuts are a shite workaround on the Stihl patent. The chain tensioning/bar fitting is a nightmare. The felling lines are useless. The handles feel sharp. The fuel caps aren't tool-less. Other stuff I've forgotten. Started not wanting to start first pull from warm after six months use.

I'm back to an MS241 and MS261 now and they are so much nice to use. Despite the arrogance of Stihl and their naff attitude to warranty.

OP- where are you based?

All fair points. Personally, I would have suggested the MS261 but the op specifically didnt want mtronic that was why I suggested the echo...despite its shortfalls

• Like 2

My advice ( as it always is ) is to buy the best pro saw you can currently afford . Once you get it , a short period of time will pass  and you won't understand how you ever managed with just this one saw . You will then need another , bigger pro saw , and then another etc etc . Then you will need to get them ported coz that's a thing , and then the snow ball keeps on rolling ! 🙂

Edited by Stubby
  • Like 6
  • Haha 2

58 minutes ago, Stere said:

Why choose  the 545 555 over the XP saws?

Cost, as he is not as I understand it a pro user, they are less racy than the 550 and 560 but excellent quality, and feel free to shoot me down but are more accepting of any warranty unlike some I could mention .

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, adw said:

Cost, as he is not as I understand it a pro user, they are less racy than the 550 and 560 but excellent quality, and feel free to shoot me down but are more accepting of any warranty unlike some I could mention .

Go on Andrew , mention them 😀