Seasoning sitka and larch

Donnie

I've an endless supply of sitka and some larch and I've heard both Sitka being one of the longest to season and read up online and others say it is one of the quickest to season I.E 6 months or so. 

Looking for info on who is right as I'd like to heat my house on Sitka with it being free. 

This last few years I fell the Sitka, and mechanically handle it leaving it stacked in a pile unprocessed for a year, at least, then when I  start cutting and splitting it, it is so much drier and ergo lighter, which my ould done 63 year old back really really, really  appreciates, this also gives the various bugs and beetles that require dead trees with the bark on a good chance to lay eggs and mature(leaving biro pen sized holes!), which must be good for the whole wildlife foodchain. Anyway after splitting and stacking the 0.5m3 billet bundles 4 high but  uncovered for 1 more season I was taking them in at about 12% moisture, having picked a dry blowy spell to do so. And this is in piss-wet North Co. Antrim.

Splitting and exposure to the wind is the key to drying, though my stack lies to the Sun as well..

So anyway, in my experience Sitka is easy dried.

Edited by difflock
  • Like 3

On 22/12/2022 at 23:37, difflock said:

This last few years I fell the Sitka, and mechanically handle it leaving it stacked in a pile unprocessed for a year, at least, then when I  start cutting and splitting it, it is so much drier and ergo lighter, which my ould done 63 year old back really really, really  appreciates, this also gives the various bugs and beetles that require dead trees with the bark on a good chance to lay eggs and mature(leaving biro pen sized holes!), which must be good for the whole wildlife foodchain. Anyway after splitting and stacking the 0.5m3 billet bundles 4 high but  uncovered for 1 more season I was taking them in at about 12% moisture, having picked a dry blowy spell to do so. And this is in piss-wet North Co. Antrim.

Splitting and exposure to the wind is the key to drying, though my stack lies to the Sun as well..

So anyway, in my experience Sitka is easy dried.

In my front garden there's not much space so I was thinking of devoting half my garage to storing it. Obviously it will be covered with little air flow. Will this still dry out OK within a summer or so?