Rope runner pro (CE vs Non-CE version)

Dan F.

38 minutes ago, carlos said:

if that is the case seems a bit crazy to have to buy

a second one!

Yep, but that's how it works. The OP'S device was made before the manufacturer was granted a certificate of conformity for the device"

It's understandable why they wouldn't sign off on a device retroactively.

7 hours ago, carlos said:

is there any physical difference between the non CE and the CE ones?

7 hours ago, Stubby said:

He says the part numbers are the same so I doubt it .

Got the reply from Notch Equipment. No difference between non CE and CE ones.

• Like 1

On 24/11/2022 at 19:01, Dan Maynard said:

I can't see that you could CE mark it, it's got that serial number. I think the only chance is to talk to the manufacturer and get a letter from them stating that all the parts are the same so it could carry the mark.

Or, if you are self employed then you can choose to use non CE kit - some people climb on non CE rope and harnesses imported from the US, or the Bulldog bone for example.

I thought that if there's no CE mark then there will be no LOLER cert?

Do you have any info or resources to share about using non CE stuff as someone self employed? I'd assumed that HSE didn't really differentiate between employees and subcontractors for this kind of stuff.

Not to say that you wont be totally fine using the RRP pro that isnt CE marked, enough folk have used and are still using the OG RR, just that if SHTF you might find it hard to justify using it for an insurance claim etc. and it's good to be fully informed.

19 hours ago, krummholz said:

I thought that if there's no CE mark then there will be no LOLER cert?

Do you have any info or resources to share about using non CE stuff as someone self employed? I'd assumed that HSE didn't really differentiate between employees and subcontractors for this kind of stuff.

Not to say that you wont be totally fine using the RRP pro that isnt CE marked, enough folk have used and are still using the OG RR, just that if SHTF you might find it hard to justify using it for an insurance claim etc. and it's good to be fully informed.

The only difference for self employed people is that they don't have an employer who'll give them a bollocking for using non ce/loler kit. 

While I'd be happy to look over and inspect a non-ce RRP, you can't defensively give it a loler pass. 

All that being said, nobody's compliant anyway these days as nobody climbs on two ropes, so why worry? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Kit doesnt need to have a CE mark to pass loler. If your loler person knows the law in detail they will know they can pass kit without a CE mark if its 'fit for purpose' which the RRP is.

Any non CE kit needs to be lolered straight away instead of after 6 months from new

I have a non CE RRP and non CE ropes that have loler certificates

This was all told to me by the loler guy

7 hours ago, Tomthetree said:

Kit doesnt need to have a CE mark to pass loler. If your loler person knows the law in detail they will know they can pass kit without a CE mark if its 'fit for purpose' which the RRP is.

Any non CE kit needs to be lolered straight away instead of after 6 months from new

How can kit without a CE mark be deemed fit for purpose? The only way that can happen is if it's presented for certification and Loler is only one part of the certification process.

Also bearing in mind it fits into both ppe and lifting kit and the HSE guidance is pretty clear on what should be CE and what doesn't need it, I'd be looking for a new loler inspector 

Edited by EthArb
verfication of something

On 28/11/2022 at 16:58, Mr. Squirrel said:

The only difference for self employed people is that they don't have an employer who'll give them a bollocking for using non ce/loler kit. 

While I'd be happy to look over and inspect a non-ce RRP, you can't defensively give it a loler pass. 

All that being said, nobody's compliant anyway these days as nobody climbs on two ropes, so why worry? 

This is the state of things in a nutshell. Unless you want to be fully compliant then why bother half arsing it?

Said the bloke who cut himself out of a tree last week. 

10 hours ago, Tomthetree said:

I would call your loler guys bullshit on that one I'm afraid.

1 hour ago, Mark Bolam said:

Errrr, because it’s fit for purpose?

Back in the day, Armour Pruss cord wasn’t CE marked, but exceeded every CE requirement by some margin.

How couldn’t it be fit for purpose, knowing that?

You're confusing common sense with HSE and PUWER legislation.

You should know better by now mate. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1