Best firelighters

I've seen some people put the cardboard packet from firelighters in the recycling.

They've gone out and bought a product containing kerosene, resin binder, emulsifier etc, but they won't put the bit of paper in the fire, so they dutifully carry it out to the recycling :afraid:

Edited by scbk
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Newspaper, twigs, sticks and 2" square logs (affectionatly called number two's) with a couple of logs on top.

Lit with a match.

Open primary and secondary air, shut the door and get a cuppa.

20 mins later close it down to a simmer.

I worries me putting combustable hydrocarbon in a closed box ...

• Like 2

6 hours ago, difflock said:

My grandmother lit the fire wi a peat( turf to some) which just had had  a strone of pariffin poured on it out of a teapot(which sat in the corner of the hearth) Essentially the same as modern firelighters.

Interesting as I remember having my parents having a block of some sort of oblong porous stone with a hole down the middle of it (probably larva) with a wound wire wrapped through it with a loop handle. It was placed in a jam jar of paraffin overnight and used to light the fire the following day. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, spudulike said:

Interesting as I remember having my parents having a block of some sort of oblong porous stone with a hole down the middle of it (probably larva) with a wound wire wrapped through it with a loop handle. It was placed in a jam jar of paraffin overnight and used to light the fire the following day. 

What kind of Larva? Must have been some strong bugger of an insect that. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2