How good are you?

Trailoftears

6 minutes ago, Dionysus said:

stihl kneeflex 🤢

Haha bloody awful mate and I think the sips where not much better , I did actually once put a saw in the back of my leg in the middle of summer raising and thinning an Avenue of street limes , descending my rope had a whole pile of lime epi and hung up crap on it and was caught up in more epi, so I’m trying to thrash away with the saw under me to get down and to the next tree and it runs up the back of my leg! To be fair I would have never of done that with type a’s on.. mind you I can still surprise myself still , managed to skip a saw off a boot on a dismantle last week… not something I’ve done for years but I guess it’s why we wear this stuff no matter how experienced and good we think we are. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Trailoftears said:

I suppose in a way,what I was hinting at in starting this thread,that things aren't always completely black and white re: ppe.There are moments-particularly the way our Summers now seem to head,that you can find yourself grossly overclad.Your sweating/overheating by the minute,you cant see properly due to glasses etc fogging up.You end up feeling stressed and unhappy and dehydrating-and thats before you start doing whatever gig your'e on-that makes you a potential accident statistic in many ways?

There are professionals and there are chainsaw users.

The summers have been hot for as long as I can remember.

As a professional, I just get on with the job and accept it might get a bit sweaty round my bollocks.

I d use a chainsaw pretty much every working day though.  The chainsaw kecks go on when I am at work.  If it’s really hot then I will take them off at lunchtime and once the cutting is done out come the shorts.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Rich Rule said:

There are professionals and there are chainsaw users.

The summers have been hot for as long as I can remember.

As a professional, I just get on with the job and accept it might get a bit sweaty round my bollocks.

I d use a chainsaw pretty much every working day though.  The chainsaw kecks go on when I am at work.  If it’s really hot then I will take them off at lunchtime and once the cutting is done out come the shorts.

Yep,cant argue with you on that.Shorts tho,Shorts!I dream of shorts,due to plant sap/heavy b/cutter use-I'd look like the elephant man frm the waist down!Having said that,my legs remind me of what Spike Milligan once famously described as disturbingly white pipe cleaners.Some things are best kept under wraps......

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, MattyF said:

I would never wear type cs and I would never cut under or at the back of my legs either. 

Nor did I outside of railway work.

One of the reasons for type c is that a chain may catch the fabric and drag it round before the chain stops with fibers jamming the sprocket.

• Like 2

When using a saw it was always chainsaw boots and helmet with visor and ear muffs, wearing type a or c pants is where it changes a bit, for me anyway. Back in the day it was type a as that was all that was required, then it changed to type c and since nearly all my work was commercial type c it was no questions. They were horrible, probably twice as heavy and thicker than todays offerings. But we could still do the work required it just wasnt very comfortable. When on domestic I switched to type a during the summer. I would never have questioned not wearing chainsaw trousers though as I know from experience that that they have saved me from a serious injury and a fair few of my fellow workers.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Dionysus said:

Religious type C wearer, never worn type A's and also never cut myself, Not sure why I'm so vehement about them just a personal thing.

Ladders, hate them, the most serious accidents I've had have been due to ladders or faulty ladders, and yet I still use them.

I'd say I'm quite danger-averse apart from inherently dangerous tasks where you do your best to mitigate any risks.

Actually by statistics ladders is most dangerous tools, even outperforms circular saw, can't find stats, but it's American healt and safety agencie research, as I can remember. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...