Panther FIVE-O Range

Rob D

This is not available yet as it's a [big] work in progress. It's an idea I've had for a couple of years. The idea is to make it easier to match bars and chains across the range of main manufacturers and put a line under a lot of the nonsense that they create either knowingly or unknowingly.

• Called the FIVE-O range - because every thing is in .050 guage [or 1.3mm] this is for everything from the small bars to the large bars. It's .050 whether it's Stihl or Husky or Makita regardless of bar size. And if it's .050 in all things then you don't have to think about the gauge of the chain anymore.
  • A 12" bar for Stihl at the moment takes 44 drive links, a 12" bar for Husky takes 45 drive link, a 12" bar for Echo takes 45 drive links - in the FIVE-O range ALL 12" bars will be 44 drive links - so dealers and customers ponly need to have 1 size chain
  • Each bar will be of a size that takes an equal number of left and right cutters - this is not crucial - but it makes sense to do it. There will only be drive link counts that give the same number of cutters for standard full comp chains
  • Right now a Stihl 25" bar and a Husky 24" bar takes the same size chains ie. 84 drive links - but it's confusing that one is called 24" and one is called 25". On the FIVE-O range you will get a bar that has an adapter - so one bar will fit your Stihl straight off - or fit your Husky with the adapter - it can go on both saws
  • Chainsaws will slot into groups - these groups share the same bar mount - so if you have say a Stihl MS462 that would be a Group 4 Stihl saw - you can even put a sticker on it!

image.png.5a8fcafd28ba53e6fe7860a5858fc0dd.png

• All the bars will be labelled with that sticker so your saw will have S4 and on the bar sleeve will have S4/H4/E4 so you know that bar fits your saw.
  • On the Chains will be S4-20-L so a 20" chain to go on your S4 [MS462] 20" bar in Chisel [semi chisel would be S4-20-SC]
  • We get all the time 'I want a couple of reels of chain to run on all my saws - how do I do it?' - it's hard work to do it - so when this set up comes out we'll offer a bundle custom deal for folks that want to switch over so that everything is consistent [and you'll need much less 'stuff' as everything is interchangeable - or is as interchangable as much as it possibly can be
  • What about the smaller bars why not have a universal bar thayt goes on everything? Ans - it doesn't work - or it's under research. You could do this - but due to mount differences you may have differing drive link counts for different saws - that said there may be a 'magical' length where the bar will multi fit all small saws without throwing the drive link count out in which case game on! Still something we are working on. For Husky you would have to include a cover to stop the excess oil leaking out [same as what Cannon do]

image.png.4aeb0e79487a4b5358f0c79f30f1c4b2.png

• Will the bars be as good as Sugihara or Cannon? Prob not - more like Oregon bars - but they will be priced accordingly and as importantly the supply will be there to hand. Sugihara are not going to want to make them for us and Cannon would but would be mega bucks [but we still might add a Cannon variation in later].

Feel free to comment - am posting this up here mainly so I can direct people to this and save my pinkies endlessly typing the same information!

• Like 2

This is a 24" bar - part number will be S4-H4A-24

Fits S4 saws and H4 saws [you would have a sticker on your saw to remind you what group the saw is] - the H4A means it fits the H4 saws with an adapter.

4x Claw marks to show it is a Group 4

image.png.0b3307f881ece03d6b0cb7a5e7365d6e.png

image.png.92da39d31a6b02d605fd8cf07360f6d8.png

• Like 1

Any connection to teleradio ?.

As the advertising looks very reminiscent of the panther range literature in the early days.

Regarding the claw marks, if your going to do that sort of thing. Either have it engraved/stamped possibly near the oiler entry hole, so it's away from damage and will be not easily scraped off.

Edited by GarethM

I thought the inch bars were  rounded to the nearest inch from there real actual cm length?

gfx looks  abit 1980 retro somehow reminded me of this:

Five Alive Logo.jpg

&

The 18 inch Wild Thing is Poulan's powerful stock saw. | Outdoor power  equipment, Lumberjack, Tools and equipment

Im thinking hawaii five-O  palm trees,  , panthers  tropical jungle beasts etc.

33 minutes ago, Stere said:

I thought the inch bars were  rounded to the nearest inch from there real actual cm length?

That would make sense wouldn't it? But on some they are and some they aren't - it's not consistent.

Yep I was almost thinking of a clothing brand that was in Hawaii colours - as you'd be easier to see under the tree and you'd stand out from the crowd.

2 minutes ago, Retired Climber said:

As above, you are going to need to put some money into the aesthetic design of those bars; those prototypes look a bit home made. 

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder - that's the finished design and it won't be changed.

Some people will like it, some won't, some won't care either way and some will think they look a bit homemade 😏

• Like 2