Drying firewood in house

Donnie

I've got a mixture of soft wood and hardwood that I've got off of jobs since starting out and I've been wondering how long it would take to be able to burn (I know different species, different times) if I had a log store in my living room by the log burner for drying? I'll be using it a lot this year so would like to hopefully dry even more out whilst using it. 

0755ABCF-AD19-4E11-B861-91A726D7E8E3.jpeg

• Like 1

They will dry quick enough presuming lowish house humidity but think of all the water you add to the atmosphere of your house. 1m3 of logs will weigh around 450kg-500kg when wet and nearer 350kg when dry. That would be up to 150litres of water in your house per cube you dry inside 

• Like 6

Get your logs split and in the log store early spring and most species ( except Oak ) will be ready to burn that winter .  (This of coarse requires  air flow and rain off )  They will take up some moisture from the ambient condition as winter approaches but its a good starting point . 

• Like 7

Get it split and stacked, drying for next winter. It'll be a wholly unsatisfying experience if you try and burn it this winter.

Maybe, depending on location and so on, if you stack the soft separate and in a good spot, it may be good enough by about February,v worth a try but don't bank on it