Large van weight advice

JLA1990

Just looking for some advice, as a company we tow robo-flails, chippers etc nationwide. I’ve always liked the idea of being able to transport my green climber inside a van (better security, no need for trailer etc). As I see it I would need to up grade the suspension and get cat c onto my license - has anyone done this or know other things I need to be considering (looking at VW crafter).

cheers all 

42 minutes ago, monkeybusiness said:

How heavy and how wide is the machine?
I’ve just bought a 3.5 tonne MAN TGE (same as the Crafter) and it’s max payload is approximately 1 tonne. There is a 5 tonne version but not sure if it’s available as a ‘normal’ panel van (might just be chassis cab). 
B87794D7-AC4D-445B-BF1A-F66DEC2974C4.thumb.jpeg.f5e1ca4c290442fb223e76e5bbd690fb.jpeg

I like that.

4 hours ago, Justme said:

What weight do you need to carry?

Apologies should of stipulated - machine will weigh in 1.5t (will need to include a few maintenance tools, spare hydro oil etc), Width wise 1.2m.

Nice MAN TGE!

Edited by JLA1990

18 minutes ago, JLA1990 said:

Apologies should of stipulated - machine will weigh in 1.5t (will need to include a few maintenance tools, spare hydro oil etc), Width wise 1.2m.

Nice MAN TGE!

If you want to stay under the tacho radar I think you are knackered then (if running legally)… 

I’ve not loaded much weight into this but have towed plenty, with some really heavily nose-weighted trailers pushing 4 tonnes gross(!) and the suspension still looks ‘right’ (if that makes sense?).
I spec’d it with uprated suspension/axles  on the dealer’s advice (2.1 tonnes front and rear according to the vin plate).
I’ve no doubt that you could put your big  mower in the back and it would look fine (even if legally too heavy).  
I've been dragging sheep around in it, took a chipper on a 400 mile round trip to do a job down south in it in a day this week, have slept in it on a site next to a traveller camp for a couple of nights so my other kit didn’t walk, taken my kids to school/parties/football matches etc - it is fast/comfortable/relatively economical/comfortable. 

It’s genuinely better in every way so far than my Hilux (which was top spec new in March all-singin-all-dancing etc) - I’d get rid of the Toyota before this van. I absolutely love it!!! 6309A5C7-2210-45AD-9E12-FEB619403044.thumb.jpeg.994528a70d7517267b4898356c253d53.jpeg

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, doobin said:

You won’t be able to upgrade a 3.5t van to larger. But iveco in particular do vans up to around 6.5t

Apparently there are people regularly converting the crafter/tge vans to 4.1 (I think) tonnes as when converted to campers they are generally overweight. You can order the uprated front axle from the factory to 2.1 tonnes (I think that’s what it is from memory, I’m not checking vin plates now!). 
I’m not sure of the legalities and general hoops of doing this for commercial use though, but the vehicle is technically designed for it. 

10 minutes ago, monkeybusiness said:

If you want to stay under the tacho radar I think you are knackered then (if running legally)… 

I’ve not loaded much weight into this but have towed plenty, with some really heavily nose-weighted trailers pushing 4 tonnes gross(!) and the suspension still looks ‘right’ (if that makes sense?).
I spec’d it with uprated suspension/axles  on the dealer’s advice (2.1 tonnes front and rear according to the vin plate).
I’ve no doubt that you could put your big  mower in the back and it would look fine (even if legally too heavy).  
I've been dragging sheep around in it, took a chipper on a 400 mile round trip to do a job down south in it in a day this week, have slept in it on a site next to a traveller camp for a couple of nights so my other kit didn’t walk, taken my kids to school/parties/football matches etc - it is fast/comfortable/relatively economical/comfortable. 

It’s genuinely better in every way so far than my Hilux (which was top spec new in March all-singin-all-dancing etc) - I’d get rid of the Toyota before this van. I absolutely love it!!! 6309A5C7-2210-45AD-9E12-FEB619403044.thumb.jpeg.994528a70d7517267b4898356c253d53.jpeg

It’s a beauty that’s for sure. Having a look now they do a GVW 5t model which would mean I was legal, if I went that route would I need cat c and a tachometer? 

sounds like uprated axle would defo work but as you say… slightly risky. Just want to keep the set up tidy and kit secure…. Never actually had my machines nicked it’s always the trailers!

Edited by JLA1990

19 minutes ago, monkeybusiness said:

Any chance of pictures of the inside?