Double climbers

AHPP

Does anyone have much experience of using double climbers on big/tricky takedowns with rigging. Is it generally more productive? If so, how much more productive? Does double the climbers double productivity? Less than double? More than double? Maybe it's slower than one climber?

I've done little stints, most memorably on lombardy poplars (straight up and down, repetitive tip tying). I've stayed high, clipping rigging and someone else cuts low. Saves me a lot of ascending and descending and I can keep my small saw, while the lower cutter can have a bigger saw and not have to move much with it.

What's it like in more normal three dimensional crowns? One or two rigging systems? Working independently or ganging up on one branch at a time with span rigs etc? Anything to note about tie in points and climbing systems?

Done it on large spreading Beech tree reductions, two separate teams in effect working opposite sides of the tree, as said plenty of ropes in the tree though. Much easier if its cut and chuck. Also easier if both working SRT with single main rope and positioning rope, ahem.

• Like 1

Normally when I've had another climber on a rigging dismantle it so we can both avoid the bitch work.

Sounds bad but when you have plenty of unskilled labour on the ground you'll both go up and have an easy time sharing one rigging line.

Large reductions 2 decent climbers is a must, but they have to be at the same level as you. I won't do two day reductions by my lonesome these days. I'll bring another good climber and do it in one.

That said I've done the last two days riding a crane hook picking multiple small willow limbs out of a hard to reach area. It made sense to drop a climber into the pollard points and just have him cutting while I tied off the picks and rode them out. 

Yes at times. Though it's really important that the guys in the tree work well together. Their height levels are similar and that there's a good guy on the ground (ideally overseeing the guys in the trees safety and general positions in relation to each other). Just my opinion, not and everyday thing but certainly fairly often this happens.