Employing a 16 year old.

madbopper

When we’ve had apprentices via Capel Manor before they have had an apprenticeship tutor/manager who used to come out and assess the candidates on-site. They also helped with the paperwork and compliance aspect of the course and how the apprentice interpreted into the business. They assisted with what we needed to do in terms of RAMS, supervision onsite, what the candidates could and couldn’t do, who could supervise them and also helping with complying their portfolio of evidence and coursework. Overall it was a very positive experience and I wonder if Sparsholt would have a similar person you could speak to, maybe worth a call. 

• Like 1

On 22/10/2022 at 21:27, dan blocker said:

Colleges looking for work experience/ placements generally have to visit your premise’s to ensure it meets minimum requirements for HSE, factories acts  , various insurances, etc. they will sign you off and ensure you are suitable. If they haven’t - they’re not carrying out due diligence and are winging it. Can’t believe Sparsholt haven’t done this already or are at least intending to🤔.

They are coming in a couple of weeks time. 

• Like 1

I had a young lad from reece heath, when the college closed for covid. It was all official,  quite hard work,  had quite a bit of paperwork,  covid risk assessments as well as all the usual. Most work took longer than normal, stopping to explain, no corner cutting etc.

Very first day he was with us, we had to cross a stream to get to site. Rickety old bridge,  I slipped and dropped the ms200 into it! 

Turned it into an educational exercise 'stripping down a chainsaw'

Edited by Con

Finished early Thursday so Jérôme offered Alex a flying lesson using SRT 

The lad was confident, trusting both in Jérôme and the equipment.

Fearless would be a wild description but he certainly passed the requirements of the entry test for arb college.

We'll stay in touch and our door is open for further work experience and maybe, maybe other opportunities.

I've prepared a small motivational thank you package which we'll present once I recover from Covid, tested positive Thursday so Alex's week cut short by a day.

Stuart

Alex branch walking for the first time.

IMG_20221027_152220.jpg

IMG_20221027_154821.jpg

• Like 6

My work experience was in 1986 on a Dairy farm.

First day washing out 70 calf feeding buckets, second day helping to castrate calves, then dressing an infected cow knee, squeezing pus from the wound. Painting a barn green for 3 half days to Radio 1.

Crawling inside a combine to grease some gubbins, an entire morning pumping up the rear tyre of a tractor with a foot pump.

Milking cows, borthing calves, catching ringworm, eating my packed lunch ontop of the warm silage and the ephemeral perfume of cow...

Stuart 

• Like 6

The first block of work experience I did at15 was 2 weeks in the kitchen of a hotel, and I was given a part time job straight off the back of it which I had for the next 3 years until I moved away from home.

So, already being employed, when the second block of WE came around aged 17 in 6th form, a couple of friends and I went on holiday to Dorset instead and volunteered at the steam railway near Corfe Castle, smoking weed and drinking like a teenager in the evenings, and repairing tracks, slash-and-burning overgrown cuttings, polishing the engines, and riding up and down the railway all day. Great little trip.

• Like 3