Chain sharpening tools

Domeyhead

I'm always a sucker for sharpening aids that speed things up. The latest I've seen is a little grinder bit from some Chinese outfit called Vyjoy that fits into a Dremel-like hand held tool, with a metal fan and some angles marked on it. It's like using a hand file in a gauge but quicker.  Problem is you only get one grinder bit per pitch size so it's not economical for anyone doing a lot of sawing.  I already have a little hand held rotary tool  but does anyone know if /where its possible to order multiple bits of the desired size and not one of these job lot packs of accessories 95% of which I don't want?  Also has anyone used a dremel with grinder bit to sharpen their saws - does it work? Thanks .

My opinion on sharpening devices, they all tend to work (some better than others) IF the operator knows what they are doing and how to get the desired effect.

Bit of a dark art chain sharpening, and even a lot of my pro users don't know how to do it correctly with or without the best devices available.

3 hours ago, Domeyhead said:

I'm always a sucker for sharpening aids that speed things up. The latest I've seen is a little grinder bit from some Chinese outfit called Vyjoy that fits into a Dremel-like hand held tool, with a metal fan and some angles marked on it. It's like using a hand file in a gauge but quicker.  Problem is you only get one grinder bit per pitch size so it's not economical for anyone doing a lot of sawing.  I already have a little hand held rotary tool  but does anyone know if /where its possible to order multiple bits of the desired size and not one of these job lot packs of accessories 95% of which I don't want?  Also has anyone used a dremel with grinder bit to sharpen their saws - does it work? Thanks .

IMHO you can't beat a new file . I have tried this ,that and the other over the years . If you want to see the angles and get the height correct an Oregon file plate that the file clips to is the way to go . Get someone who knows whats what to teach you if you are not confident . And don't forget to take down the rakers every third sharpen or so .

• Like 1

I had a Dremel attachment for sharpening, used a couple of times on really damaged chains, also used a couple of grinding machines but as stubby says you can't beat a new file and a file will give the best edge (with practice). My grandfather taught me how to sharpen before I left school and about the only person I have seen with decent videos of this (with the same things he showed me) is Buckin Billy Ray

• Like 1

The stihl easy file is a very good tool for those that are starting out or not sure what they are doing. Consists of a round and flat file so does raker and cutters at same time. I was going to say foolproof....but i had one guy struggle to even open the packaging, so maybe not quite!

• Like 1

I've tried loads of different stuff but always end up with the chainsaw in a vice and a file guide. 5 strokes one way and 4 the other. I rarely touch the depth guages because we're always on firewood.

Having said that, after sharpening thousands of chains the novelties worn off and I have a fully automatic sharpener on order so fingers crossed that goes well.

• Like 1