Forestry chainsaw operator

Jig

1 hour ago, spuddog0507 said:

Single windblown ticket still available new code of 003937 and interwoven stems and part blown trees is now 003935, 

The new single wind blown ticket is not what you think it is, it is aimed at estate workers etc who have to deal with the occasional small tree that is blocking a bridle way etc, hence you can do the course with just maintenance and cross cutting. 
The multiple is the proper ticket that you are familiar with, needing the medium tree ticket as a pre requisite.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, 5thelement said:

The new single wind blown ticket is not what you think it is, it is aimed at estate workers etc who have to deal with the occasional small tree that is blocking a bridle way etc, hence you can do the course with just maintenance and cross cutting. 
The multiple is the proper ticket that you are familiar with, needing the medium tree ticket as a pre requisite.

yes your right only need cross cutting ticket and no felling ticket needed, it don,t say anything about the size of tree you deal with on this course  ? ,Some things in life i just cant see the cense in and this is one of them, i can only see this going one way and thats the wrong way !! 

13 hours ago, spuddog0507 said:

yes your right only need cross cutting ticket and no felling ticket needed, it don,t say anything about the size of tree you deal with on this course  ? ,Some things in life i just cant see the cense in and this is one of them, i can only see this going one way and thats the wrong way !! 

The single tree is under guidebar, so 15”. It’s aimed at the Woodland Trust, RSPB type volunteer or gamekeeper who just needs to deal with an individual blown stem, not what we have to deal with in a genuine wind blown situation with large trees. 
You book the course and assessment that you need and don’t need to do both.

On 16/10/2022 at 14:22, Mike Hill said:

Felling medium Spruce like that over here in Western Norway would pay around £500 per day plus 25% Vat.

Faller would be expected to get to the site and provide saws and kit.

There would be work 9 months of the year or more if you were prepared to travel.

Sounds great - are these opportunities advertised anywhere, I'd be interested to see if it would be an option for me. Thanks

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/10/2022 at 11:30, Jig said:

Hi all.

Just wanted to ask, what's the going day rate for a fully ticketed self employed chainsaw operator to do thinnings, clearfells etc...? All my own equipment, pickup truck, public liability etc, provided by me. I think £150 upwards, especially within today's economical climate, is acceptable. What does everyone else think? 

I've been cutting (on and off*) since 2014, in Kent, Sussex, Hampshire, Cumbria, Tayside, The Black Isle and Aberdreamshire. 

My day rate now is £180 (occasionally £160+ accommodation). On piecerate Chestnut this season I earned £250-350 a day in West Sussex. 

I've seen dozens of guys come and try their hand but only a handful last the week out. There is a drastic shortage of quality hand cutters, so if £180 is deemed too much I'm quite happy to pass the job up and go elsewhere. 

I run Husqvarna have CS31 & 32 and I drive a hatchback. 31yo with a mortgage. 

* The off part is only because I take plenty of time off in the summer to give my body a break. Cutting is brutal and I don't intend doing it forever.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I was looking at the very same topic question earlier today, this was from 2010, the pay for the day £50-£60 for newbie, a seasoned sawman £80-£90, its in this forum.

I was wondering why people are willing  to do this type of work, as has been said you can get more stacking shelves.
The reason I am asking is because I want to get into forestry as a cutter, sawman and could do with some guidance and an opportunity to learn 

10 minutes ago, AHPP said:

Why do you want to get into it?

After leaving the forces, resettlement training under my belt ( all the tickets but no experience) unable to find tree surgery/ work in my local area so had a look on here, ended up going to Sweden for a number of months came back with a good insight into tree surgery and back in the uk was given the opportunity to do more tree work mostly rail, roads, utility private and commercial jobs for a very professional tree services firm, from then on I’ve moved around getting more tickets as much experience as possible. Its something I would like to learn about and do. I like working with trees and being outside 

it’s that, “find a job you like and you’ll never work another day in your life” if that makes sense 

• Like 3