Testing anchor point..

john87

4 minutes ago, john87 said:

Yes, 11.3.2 They seem to like having a bit of a test??

I know you could say that it could weaken what was previously ok, but you could say the same about the MOT tester deliberately applying your car brakes as hard as he can for the same reason??? I saw a brake pipe burst once like this, [was not my car!!]

john..

john..

That's not the same thing at all. If you don't understand why, you don't understand trees, and probably shouldn't be climbing them. I don't mean this in a confrontational way, more of a saving you from yourself kind of vibe. Sorry, that just reads as patronising; I'm going to give up whilst I'm (slightly) ahead. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Retired Climber said:

That's not the same thing at all. If you don't understand why, you don't understand trees, and probably shouldn't be climbing them. I don't mean this in a confrontational way, more of a saving you from yourself kind of vibe. Sorry, that just reads as patronising; I'm going to give up whilst I'm (slightly) ahead. 

No no, i like to hear all opinions, it all helps you know...

john..

testing an anchor and selecting an anchor are quiet different, id say if your unsure about an anchor just go for a bigger lower limb then move your anchor up higher when your up there as you can see the condition of the final anchor a lot more easily

• Like 2

4 hours ago, john87 said:

Yes, 11.3.2 They seem to like having a bit of a test??

I know you could say that it could weaken what was previously ok, but you could say the same about the MOT tester deliberately applying your car brakes as hard as he can for the same reason??? I saw a brake pipe burst once like this, [was not my car!!]

I'm not aware that Chris and Matt snapped any ropes load-testing the systems...probably a good job I didn't try tho..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

More piccys as i know you like piccys!!

Been up the tree removing bits so you can see more clearly..

There are TWO possible tie in points as you can see in the photo below.. Object of the exercise is to remove the branches you can see on the left and right..

1.thumb.JPG.6600620a3efd318b7417d7b536d5c299.JPG

Now, as anchoring to a branch is not that clever, the plan is to get the rope around the main stem with the branch merely stopping it slipping down...

Here are both of them more clearly...

2.thumb.JPG.bd7f0553c182eadd74015e3aba9bcec2.JPG

Now given a choice, i would use the bottom one, but there is a branch growing out of the centre of the union [See below]

Is there a reason for this?? [Never seen it before] and could it indicate a weakness or abnormaility in the structure of the thing??

What you all think??

john..

3.thumb.JPG.b18b08b4d32aac555500e481b9e697fd.JPG

Edited by john87
Spelling mistake!!