What are the rules for felling in the forest?

I'm in Scotland. 

I'm wondering what the felling permission rules are for felling in forestry owned land. 

Can I fell windblown trees for example, or dead trees, or basically what can you fell if anything, with or without permission?

I'd like to do this to get more practice at felling, cutting, brush removal and also if I could take some firewood that would be a bonus. Also I have time on my hands so better doing something than nothing.

22 minutes ago, GarethM said:

I think you're probably venturing into criminal damage and theft, if it's not you're property or with permission.

Well that's what I'm asking, so you can't apply for permission to cut down windblown or dead trees in forestry land?

35 minutes ago, Rms7 said:

I'm in Scotland. 

I'm wondering what the felling permission rules are for felling in forestry owned land. 

Can I fell windblown trees for example, or dead trees, or basically what can you fell if anything, with or without permission?

I'd like to do this to get more practice at felling, cutting, brush removal and also if I could take some firewood that would be a bonus. Also I have time on my hands so better doing something than nothing.

Look for a local community group they have one locally where i live and they maintain the local woods. The members have chainsaw tickets and get grants to pay for it and they get free firewood and timber.

Estover rites for the villagers eh etc?

WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Leo Benedictus: The Forestry Commission is phasing out licences for individuals to collect firewood

H&S put a stop to it i think . FC used to issue gleaning/ scavenging permits

Or they do they still exist in Scotland?

FORESTRYANDLAND.GOV.SCOT

Scotland's national forests are almost entirely free to use. However, you may need to follow certain guidelines or obtain...

Purchase or scavenge firewood for domestic use

Members of the public can obtain a permit to buy timber for the purpose of domestic heating.

A firewood permit is available where a set quantity of small unprocessed logs is available for collection. A scavenging permit allows the recovery of timber from a recent harvesting site using hand tools.

Please contact your local office for help with any enquiries about the availability of these licences, and how to buy them.

Without permission you shouldn't be doing any cutting in the woods.

The permission question aside, felling windblow probably isn't recommended as an exercise in getting cutting practice.

However, I'd try to speak directly to landowners / small woodland owners who are more likely to see you clearing stuff up as beneficial compared to the FC. 

Edited by Doug Tait

I doubt that you could do any kind of felling at all. Think about it, if they said yes go ahead then they are responsible for your works/actions. If you injure yourself or someone else then it willl be on their heads. Also they don't want you cutting down dead trees that have been left for biodiversity etc. 

Just do it on the sneek when no one is looking :)

• Like 1

The would think the FC would not let you do it with out, you produced the relivent saw tickets, PL insurance and tickets/certificates for the any thing else they can think of, i think the best way forward is forget the FC and go to private land owners, this could be a simple way for you to get a yearly supply of firewood and its supprising what a good bottle of Scotch n a bunch of flowers can get you,

Fc generally don't even allow wind blow to be cut by hand cutters full stop nowadays even on harvesting sites, the rules are completely bonkers.

But basically u would need to find a private landowner and ask there permission, but even at that i doubt u'd find 1 as theyre could be laibility and insurance issues if they allow u on as others have said.

I help out/volanteer for a couple of local nature reserves and a community wood, but they all insist on my having tickets.

And by they're nature folk/public dogs will be wandering about so not really the place for learning either