Battery powered chainsaw

Treekiler307

55 minutes ago, coppice cutter said:

I've been researching this stuff high and low for the past few weeks prior to buying in to a proper system for the first time and I haven't seen anything anywhere to support that view.

What I heard years ago that Makita had gone overboard on the safety circuitry, and some batteries were refusing to charge after a couple of false fail attempts. Batteries still serviceable, but failing to charge simply because of a glitch. In the disco world, there were a type of speaker famed for overheating and cutting out, when in fact it may have been a component saying it had overheated when it hadn't.   

16 minutes ago, coppice cutter said:

All I know now is that the Makita chargers are known for being particularly noisey (which they are) due to their inbuilt fans. Maybe it's something that's been addressed with extra cooling before and during the charging cycle?

Noisy? Noisy? Some of my buggers play a bloody tune when it's charged! 

• Haha 1

When I buy a microwave I try really hard to get one that simply has a ‘ping’ when it finishes not multiple beeps.  I think way too many devices have annoying beeps or tunes.  I do like the fact that phones now ring again, after a decade or two of ever more annoying other noises!

• Like 3

13 hours ago, dumper said:

But can you get the batteries, makita batteries are not the best quality the stihl batteries I’m told are made by Bosch and a generation ahead in technology 

What is exactly “made”? Recently both Stihl and Husqvarna switched from LG & Samsung cells to Sony/Murata, both have their own BMS’es made elsewhere + most of the batteries of recent batches state “Made in Poland”.  It might mean plastic casing + assembly, it might also include BMS but in any case the batteries can’t be actually made in-house. Even the BMS will probably contain chips, resistors and thermistors made in various corners of the globe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, I have gone full battery for small saws.

I have a husky T540ixp, 540ixp and echo 2500t.

I rate all of them, and have no interest in going back to petrol. I love the on/off switch a much better way to work over a pull start.

I find now that if I use a petrol saw I think how frustrating it is to start.

The T540ixp competes with the ms200's, it has differing pros and cons.

The 540ixp is amazing  for the majority of arb ground work, especially for jobs where the saw is start and stopped a lot.

The echo is by far the best small climbing saw I've ever used.

• Like 4