How to have a TPO removed?

Dirk Pitt

On 10/09/2022 at 20:12, Mick Dempsey said:

Why not just apply to have any reasonable work done on the trees as and when? Explain to your neighbour that you have to apply for permission.

What is a reasonable amount? This is down to each persons interpretation and I bet in "a number of cases" the person that wants to cut a branch will have a different opinion to the council officer in charge for TPO planning permission.

All this discussion is not taking me to a process for removing a TPO.  If anyone can direct me to a process for England to have TPO's removed I would appreciate it.

Dirk Pitt

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Dirk Pitt said:

What is a reasonable amount? This is down to each persons interpretation and I bet in "a number of cases" the person that wants to cut a branch will have a different opinion to the council officer in charge for TPO planning permission.

All this discussion is not taking me to a process for removing a TPO.  If anyone can direct me to a process for England to have TPO's removed I would appreciate it.

Dirk Pitt

You don't have to have the TPO removed to be able to work on the tree . You do have to get the ok from the local tree officer . He might say no  or he might say a 15% reduction or some other spec . You need to apply .

1 hour ago, Stubby said:

You don't have to have the TPO removed to be able to work on the tree . You do have to get the ok from the local tree officer . He might say no  or he might say a 15% reduction or some other spec . You need to apply .

If the tree officer states his reduction as a percentage he need a smack on the bottom. Metres please 👍

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dirk Pitt said:

Dirk Pitt

I think what most are driving at here is that the council is unlikely to remove the TPO, so easiest option for you is to understand the process to work on TPO'd trees and follow it.  It's not difficult - thousands of us do it all the time.

That said, you could always just email your local council tree officer with the gist of your original post and ask them to remove the TPO.  You might even get a reply.  They do have the power to amend or revoke TPOs but obviously won't do so without good reason.

23 hours ago, Dirk Pitt said:

The word is revoke and it isn’t something you can do.  The LPA may decide to revoke a TPO but only with good reason.  Usually that they have made a new TPO to protect the trees as the area has changed.  For example, an old TPO could show trees in a field which has now been built on so the trees are on a housing estate. You would make a new TPO showing up to date plans and then revoke the old one. 

They are not going to revoke one to save people time doing applications. 

• Like 4

Its the amount of work you can do to achieve the objective while not damaging the tree.  It’s not removing entire limbs when reducing the ends would do.  Tree owners often have expectations that are not realistic when it comes to TPOs. 

I saw an application recently that was to reduce the height of a tree by half because the low branch were catching the roof of the cars when entering the drive. That isn’t reasonable. Lifting the low branches to 4m would be. 

cheers 

Chris 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Chris at eden said:

They are not going to revoke one to save people time doing applications. 

The applications most of us are talking about is to have permitted work done on a TPO tree , not to have the TPO removed .

Edited by Stubby