New ms462cm problem HELP!

Nclark

11 hours ago, Nclark said:

I took the bar off and ran the chainsaw and again, the oil tank from cold got hot to touch within about 3 mins of running.

So they guy has run it with no bar and chain fitted and the oil tank is still getting hot, so asking if oil holes line up, oil getting to bar or any suggestion relating to bar/chain isn't going to solve that issue if they aren't fitted. I am scratching my head on this one, as the only thing that can influence the heat of the chain oil if no bar fitted can only be heat from the engine, exhaust, clutch or oil pump??

1 hour ago, Sviatoslav Tulin said:

Plz, just go back to the  dealer, don't kill the saw completely, I am afraid you not qualifyed enough, I don't want to insult you, but better, bitter true than a sweet lay. 

That’s pretty insulting considering you know nothing about me.

and I have contacted the dealer who like I said was rubbish hence why I’m here asking for some help.

as for qualified I’ve operated numerous chainsaws for along time and not a single one has got hot. I repair my own gear and never use dealers or service centres. Just because I haven’t come across this problem before does not make me unqualified. It’s a new saw so rather than take it apart and find the fault I thought I would ask the forum.
the reason I came here was to see just on the off chance that I missed something and judging by the comments I have not which validates my concerns that the saw has an issue.

• Like 1

'I have contacted the dealer who like I said was rubbish hence why I’m here asking for some help'

As a dealer, I feel I must ask some qualifying questions as to your conclusion they were 'rubbish'

A. Is the saw within 12 months of a pro user warranty or 24 months for a homeowner user warranty...ie, are you a pro user of the saw?

B. If the saw is within the Stihl warranty period....are you the original purchaser, as warranty is not transferable

C. Was the saw purchased from an authorised Stihl agent......or could it have been purchased new, from an auction site such as ebay from someone who is not authorised to sell new Stihl products, and therefore cannot register your purchase for warranty on the Stihl dealer registration site (only authorised dealers have access to this, and registration MUST be done by the selling dealer upon sale..not the customer despite what some dodgy ebay seller might tell you.

D. Is the dealer who was 'rubbish' the same dealer you purchased it from? If so, did you state you have done your own investigation/repair work on the saw already? This could invalidate any warranty.

E. If it is not the dealer you purchased it from, did you originally ask this dealer to quote for the sale, and then purchase it elsewhere and are now asking for help from this original dealer from which you didn't accept their quote, and therefore decided not to purchase from? We get this a lot whereby we try to be as competitive as possible, and we will fully assemble and fuel/oil machines prior to hand over and demo the machine to the new customer- this costs money, so we cannot beat online prices, but get as close as we can- with the re-assurance that if there is an issue, we are more than happy to look after 'our' customer. However when a customer who we have initially spent time with and offer advice and a quote to, goes elsewhere just to save ten or twenty quid on our price, and then brings in this 'third party' machine with a warranty issue- don't be surprised if we aren't all smiley and happy about dealing with you.

F. For what reasons do you suggest this dealer is 'rubbish'   any of the above??

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, pleasant said:

'I have contacted the dealer who like I said was rubbish hence why I’m here asking for some help'

As a dealer, I feel I must ask some qualifying questions as to your conclusion they were 'rubbish'

A. Is the saw within 12 months of a pro user warranty or 24 months for a homeowner user warranty...ie, are you a pro user of the saw?

B. If the saw is within the Stihl warranty period....are you the original purchaser, as warranty is not transferable

C. Was the saw purchased from an authorised Stihl agent......or could it have been purchased new, from an auction site such as ebay from someone who is not authorised to sell new Stihl products, and therefore cannot register your purchase for warranty on the Stihl dealer registration site (only authorised dealers have access to this, and registration MUST be done by the selling dealer upon sale..not the customer despite what some dodgy ebay seller might tell you.

D. Is the dealer who was 'rubbish' the same dealer you purchased it from? If so, did you state you have done your own investigation/repair work on the saw already? This could invalidate any warranty.

E. If it is not the dealer you purchased it from, did you originally ask this dealer to quote for the sale, and then purchase it elsewhere and are now asking for help from this original dealer from which you didn't accept their quote, and therefore decided not to purchase from? We get this a lot whereby we try to be as competitive as possible, and we will fully assemble and fuel/oil machines prior to hand over and demo the machine to the new customer- this costs money, so we cannot beat online prices, but get as close as we can- with the re-assurance that if there is an issue, we are more than happy to look after 'our' customer. However when a customer who we have initially spent time with and offer advice and a quote to, goes elsewhere just to save ten or twenty quid on our price, and then brings in this 'third party' machine with a warranty issue- don't be surprised if we aren't all smiley and happy about dealing with you.

F. For what reasons do you suggest this dealer is 'rubbish'   any of the above??

Well said and some good points there that i 100% agree with, i have seen and read about so many saws bought on line and then took to local dealer when a problem arises, I have never bought a saw on line yet and will not do, got 2 local dealers that i buy off and its one saw from one and then one saw from the other, then when a problem appears and saw goes in its straight to the front of the que no questions or faces pulled as they no it was bought from them, 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Nclark said:

I’ve  checked air filter I’m using good fuel and good 2 stroke oil.

and good bar oil.

looking at the photo that tells me that it is lacking oil on the underside of the bar ? you say tour using good oil but what oil is it ? as what one calls good oil some one else with more expieriance on saws will say its not,, looking at the bar i would say your oil is not up to the job and all being flung off at the tip of the bar and very little being carried round to the underside,,

Edited by spuddog0507
spelling
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, Nclark said:

ive ran chainsaws before and I’ve never had this issue.

can anyone shed any light on if it’s normal

The chain oil tank gets warm yes, it's right next to the exhaust, but no it's definitely not normal for the bar to get that hot.

I think it must be either excessive force on the cut, or lack of oil, or it's not a matching set of parts eg wrong gauge chain (admittedly not likely if they were bought as a set). You have to just eliminate the possibilities until you are left with the impossible (or something like that Sherlock Holmes said).

Only other thought if you've run other saws, were they Stihl? The inboard clutch drum has a little slot which engages with the oil pump drive arm, easy to miss if you don't know it's there.