Queen

eggsarascal

11 hours ago, eggsarascal said:

I deliberately left out, God Save The King.

Not that I dislike Charlie, but it might not carry the same weight.

Hard to take him as seriously.

Then again, most of us were born with Elizabeth as Queen, that's all we've every known.

The psychology of that has to be profound even if you consciously try to counter it.

But I've no doubt him and Camilla are well up to the job of steadying the ship after such a major upset, and it'll probably be William who will determine the longer term future of the monarchy.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, coppice cutter said:

Hard to take him as seriously.

Then again, most of us were born with Elizabeth as Queen, that's all we've every known.

The psychology of that has to be profound even if you consciously try to counter it.

But I've no doubt him and Camilla are well up to the job of steadying the ship after such a major upset, and it'll probably be William who will determine the longer term future of the monarchy.

The difference between The Queen and Charles is, We know what Charles thinks, he’s told us so. The Queen kept her cards close to her chest. A skill set rarely seen these days.

• Like 4

I've no doubt that now Charles is monarch he will act publicly in as apolitical a fashion as his mother did and in keeping with the role.

But of-course we will all remember his views on things from before when that wasn't the case, and many will therefore extrapolate and judge him on what they assume he will really be thinking (seems familiar!).

Elizabeth wasn't so judged for several reasons.

Firstly, she came to the role at a much, much younger age.

Secondly, media and it's intrusiveness is now on a different level to seventy odd years ago.

Thirdly, it was a helluva long time ago.

I suppose what I'm getting is that Charles is on a hiding to nothing if he's going to be compared to his mother as a monarch, simply because a fair comparison is impossible.

Edited by coppice cutter
  • Like 2

Charles will be a good king, I'm sure. He gets a lot of very unfair flack, but he's a serious man, entirely sincere and a champion and friend of the countryside (he is patron of the National Hedge Laying Society and a capable hedge layer himself). I don't agree with all the opinions he's expressed in his former roll but he is as entitled to his views as anyone else and had he sat on his hands for 70 years waiting in silence to take the top job he would have lived a wasted life. He could have spent his time playing with yachts and girls, but he did not. He worked tirelessly for his many foundations which have transformed a huge number of disadvantaged lives and he used his high profile to draw attention to often unfashionable causes and on many of his campaigning issues over the years he has been proved right and ahead of his time.   

He's a decent man who like his mother, didn't choose his destiny, and I've no doubt he'll give everything to his new roll. We should support him and give him a chance. 

9 minutes ago, Gimlet said:

Charles will be a good king, I'm sure. He gets a lot of very unfair flack, but he's a serious man, entirely sincere and a champion and friend of the countryside (he is patron of the National Hedge Laying Society and a capable hedge layer himself). I don't agree with all the opinions he's expressed in his former roll but he is as entitled to his views as anyone else and had he sat on his hands for 70 years waiting in silence to take the top job he would have lived a wasted life. He could have spent his time playing with yachts and girls, but he did not. He worked tirelessly for his many foundations which have transformed a huge number of disadvantaged lives and he used his high profile to draw attention to often unfashionable causes and on many of his campaigning issues over the years he has been proved right and ahead of his time.   

He's a decent man who like his mother, didn't choose his destiny, and I've no doubt he'll give everything to his new roll. We should support him and give him a chance. 

That’s fair comment.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Gimlet said:

My life!!! I'd like to think Charles will be a good King, but for the love of man, look at the Developments Charlie has got passed on 'his' land.

1 hour ago, Gimlet said:

Excellent post.