Help identifying a flue

2 hours ago, thrope said:

Yes it's a lovely stove, just have a problem when the wind is blowing the wrong direction.

In that case it is immaterial whether it meets building regs (and they are not post dated on installs prior to Part J 2002 IIRC).

From looking at the picture it could comply depending on the height above the roof and horizontal distance from window and ridge. Either way having the extension fitted by someone who is qualified to self certify the flue makes sense, if you can find someone, else whole new flue.

Hadn't heard anything about a certificate, sweep didn't mention it, nor in home report. In Scotland if it makes a difference.

Doesn't seem like its possible to get a new flue until well into 2023 so I think will have to try a Selkirk extension or just a flue cube. 

Sorry what exactly do you mean by "blowback" and when "the wind is in the wrong direction etc"?  Does the stove not draw or smoke return to the room?  In my experience, because the stove box has a sealed door and is very hot, I find they just work. Use tinder dry wood and get the thing roaring hot for the first 10 minutes or so.

If its just the neighbours complaining about the smell of smoke, a taller flue might help it blow away, but the smoke won't stop completely!

When the wind strong and in a certain direction it's very hard to light the fire and smoke blows back into the room through the open vents. Only occasionally depending on weather, works fine the rest of the time. I think the flue cube would fix that. I think most of the smoke comes from other much heavier fire users (we were also bothered by it during the day, we only use ours in the evenings), but even so ours does look too low.

Ah OK.  I hope you get it resolved. Id be tempted to try it in two stages, some form of cowl or flue cube then if that doesn't help extend the flue.  A high non-central flue doesn't look very nice and can need supports which are not good for a roof and its waterproofness.

In the meantime, a trick I use for getting stubborn flues to draw is to prime the flue with a old electric heater for 5 minutes or so before lighting it.  This warms the flue and gets a column of hot air moving upwards. I have to say I've never done this with a stove, but I can't see why not.  When you do light it, go over-kill on the newspaper and kindling and wood, so it can have a right old flare up without you needing to open the door again until its properly hot.  

Thanks. The problem I have is not knowing the manufacturer of the flue to get the correct extension. I guess Selkirk is the best suggestion so far but it's annoying theres no way to be sure.

I'm pretty sure the FlueCube will solve our stove issues even without an extension (its not just on lighting, but a couple of times we had the CO alarm go off after we've gone to bed as the fire goes down it blows back in - I guess we have a problem also with sealing of the stove). But I think the neighbours have a valid complaint that is too low so would like to raise it even if it means a new flue.

WWW.FLUECUBE.CO.UK

The best anti downdraft cowl on the market. Improves burning efficiency, Reduces Black Carbon, Guaranteed To Work. Buy yours today £248.33 + vat.