Help identifying a flue

1 hour ago, thrope said:

OK thanks. Looks like that convesa KC / TWPro (seems to be the same product) 1m pipe is the best thing to try and not so expensive.

Thanks very much for the input I would have made no progress at all without the help in this thread.

I don't want to throw a spanner in the works but different manufacturers have different specs fo how much length you can have above the roof without the need for guy wires so if you don't get exactly the same make you may have a new garden ornament the next gale we have.

Thanks, yes I checked that and I think as long its just a 1m extension piece I should be comfortably under the limit for KC (assuming that KC / TWPro / Convesa are all the same product):

"Locking bands are included with each component as required; the standard locking band will provide lateral support for up to 1.9 metres of pipe above the final wall support. Structural locking bands are available and allow an additional metre height."

I estimate whats on there is around 0.5m so witha nother 1m should be fine. Also looking at the neighbours almost all are more than 1.5m and none have bracing.

I think I would need to add another 0.5m to ensure full compliance with regs, but then I think I would need the supports to be safe and want to avoid anything that could compromise the roof given that when it comes to this house, anything that can go wrong will go wrong. I think a 1m extension will take it 1m about the windows and be an obvious improvment for the neighbours with cleaner burning provided by the fluecube I think that would be a good outcome.

Compared to the price of new flue actually I could by a 1m section from all of the candidates (although seems like its not selkirk now, but could get an Sflue alongside KC flue) just to be safe that I have one that goes on.

Thanks again,

• 2 weeks later...

Update: the convesa didn't fit, so we have just put the fluecube on. Here are some pictures of inside the existing piece. Any other suggestions for a make to try based on these (the sort of end grills?)

The internal here is 6 1/4 " rather than the tight 6" of the Convesa.

I've had a suggestion it is likely to be Poujoulat, but not sure which system or where I can buy a 1m Poujoulat piece, any help appreciated.

414716441_WhatsAppImage2022-09-15at10_19_06.thumb.jpeg.bf14a8f12f1c4d305c45c258389bba33.jpeg794316552_WhatsAppImage2022-09-15at10_19_20.thumb.jpeg.d3a77495a0400bbf44f4037e6944216b.jpeg

Edited by thrope

• 2 weeks later...

Updating here in case it helps anyone in the future.

It was Poujoulat! They were able to identify the photo and were very helpful. It was actually an older 155mm flue that they made up until around 2004/2005, so I needed a 155 to 150 adaptor, and a new 150mm extension. They do different lengths, 950mm and 1150mm which worked out well because 1150mm plus around 50mm from the adaptor takes me close to the regulation height (2.3m horizontally from roof) with only one join (and total height above roof not enough to require a support according to the specs).

Hope it will stand up to the storms. This was £320 for the two pieces.

Was really happy to have it finally solved, but as proof of the old saying no good deed goes unpunished the lady of the house who originally complained about the flue and asked us to increase it to meet regulations as they are bothered by smoke came round 10 minutes after the job was done furious about how it looked. Not quite sure what they want us to do. We need access through their garden so they had advance warning of all the details. I think she wants us to paint it black? but feel a bit agreived having gone to all this trouble and spent 600 quid all in to be good neighbours and fix their smoke problem at their request (fluecube alone would have sorted our our problem) only to have it thrown back in our face. First time living in the countryside and frankly amazed at the level of entitlement. We've been here less than a year, the stove has been there 18 years but the woman was raging at us that "they never gave permission for it's installation" (of course none was needed).

1469536474_WhatsAppImage2022-09-26at14_54.56(1).thumb.jpeg.da40409c6cf3962bd941d294dd8f1478.jpeg

IMG_20220926_114806.jpg

• Like 4