Help identifying a flue

Definitely way to low to conform to regs. It depends how far from the ridge it is as to whether it has to go lat least level or high enough to be a certain distance horizontally from the roof surface, can't remember if it's 1.8m or 2.3m.

Selkirk I'd stickers were stuck inside the liner which isn't a great deal of help but some I've removed have been identifiable. Sflue is made on virtually the same dies as Selkirk

If you can post a picture of the outer skin vertical seam I may be able to tell if it's selkirk

Screenshot_20220905-215602.png

Edited by slim reaper
Ad picture

No disrespect to your neighbours, but whether it meets regs or not (or specifically when it was installed) is none of their business. If affects you alone, maybe your home insurers and maybe the people you sell the house on to.

But its not good news if any installation sets of a a CO alarm. That is a serious warning sign.  You should get that resolved before using it again.  Ontop of the flue, I would also get the stove checked out.  The stove or the flue could have a leak somewhere or the setup is insufficiently vented.

Not exactly true, if it doesn't meet regs they can report them to the local council.

Which they have admitted to not having a install certificate making it illegal.

Which also nulls the home insurance and makes them liable if the place and adjoining property gets damaged.

And if they are in a smoke control area, that would be a possible £1k fine every time it smokes and having to rip out a non compliant appliance.

Edited by GarethM

Thanks everyone. Re: regulations I had thought the relevant part was needing to be 1m higher than any window. We have the veluxes visible in that photo so I thought a 1m or 1.5m would be enough. This would lift it more than 1m from the intersection with the weathered surface, but not sure if it would be 2.3m horizontally from the pitch.

Neighbours hadn't brought up regs so much - they had just commented that when theres was installed the installer mentioned that it was too low and they were sometimes bothered by smoke (in the context of me talking about requesting access to install a windproof cowl). So I think it was fair enough, not antagonistic and I'm trying to sort it out just to be a good neighbour and because I think there is a problem anyway in this little area with high smoke levels. I have an air filter in the house, the PM2.5 levels are higher than where we lived before which was a busy city centre 800m from a main motorway.

We are in Scotland so I'm not sure the install certificate is required in the same way. To be honest it has been like this for 18 years and wasn't raised in our home report, so I'm not so worried about meeting the letter of the regulations, it's just seems to me it's clearly too low (and that's also effecting the function of the fire) so would like to do what we can to make it better.

Trying to sort it out before the winter and we use the fire again. We have new set of seals for the stove, and trying to get the flue sorted.

I think a 1m extension and a fluecube would solve our problems and probably make the neighbours happier at a reasonable cost, but as per the original question in this thread we cannot get an extension without figuring out the current make of the flue.

No local suppliers can do a new flue until well into 2023 and that's a lot more than we wanted to spend anyway so might end up just being the fluecube and a stove service for this year. I think that will make the difference - at the moment the cowl is completely open and when the wind is strong in a certain direction it really does feel like it is just blowing straight down the flue.

I will try to get a photo of the outer seam. I can't actually see it from any of my windows and don't have access to that side of the property so will have to find a time to ask the neighbours to get into their garden.

Edited by thrope

It's 1.5 storey house and its at the corner of the ground floor so it doesn't go through anywhere accessible upstairs (it's in the eaves behind the plasterboard upstairs). The original post includes a photo of the stove. It's completely different inside (black) so no external seam (I assumed that referred to the exterior steel part).

There is a little inspection hatch I could open if there would be a reason too (didn't because I assumed it would make a mess and wasn't sure how it would help).

Here is a photo from the other side, but can't see the seam. I assume it must be facing the roof directly so hard to get a picture of.

WhatsApp Image 2022-09-03 at 14.32.24.jpeg

image001(1).jpg

OK, so I guess the message is it is a bit difficult to identify? Does KC stand for anything, I cannot find much online searching for that?

Would it be this? (KWPro the same as KC?)

WWW.FLUESYSTEMS.COM

KW Pro is a twin wall insulated chimney flue system designed for use with stoves and fireplaces which are burning wood, solid fuel, gas or oil. 175mm Diameter. 1000mm Length

Now have a quote for installing a new flue for £1650+VAT which is more than I was expecting but it seems to be the only option short of waiting until 2023.

What about this one:

WWW.MODERNSTOVES.CO.UK

Fixed length: 1000mm - Effective Length When Joined 962mm Internal Diameter: 150mm (6 inches) External Diameter 210mm HETAS Certified - CE Approved Colour: Stainless Steel Mirror Finish Please note that we sell...

Looks pretty close based on the band (and it says KC at the bottom of the listing). Might be worth trying that and a fluecube if I could get someone to put it on?

Edited by thrope

Sorry it was Convesa KC flue, I fitted  several of their H pots on to Selkirk flues with slight modifications which worked brilliantly .

They were then renamed, maybe taken over as your link, but when I ordered a couple more the diameter had been slightly reduced and would no longer fit

Edited by slim reaper