Help identifying a flue

We moved into a new house about a year ago. Has a HWAM log stove installed around 2004, but the flue is not high enough. We are looking to get a windproof cowl to stop blowback, but also had comments from the neighbours about it not being high enough for the regulations so would like to bring it up to spec.

Contacted a few local installers but no one can do anything without knowing the manufacturer of the current flue system to get a compatible extension. One place will only quote for a new flue.

Does anyone know any way to identify the flue in order to extend it? I've got the serial number of the stove with the origianl stove manuals, but nothing about the flue or any information on who installed it. I've contacted all the local firms who say it wasn't them.

Any help greatfully appreciated.

If we can't extend I guess we willl try a Flue Cube (found this forum from discussion of that) this year as it doesn't seem it would be possible to get a new flue fitted this year. And failing that would be a completely new flue install to meet current spec (I'm guessing this would be over £1000, but no idea really, if anyone has any idea). 

WhatsApp Image 2022-09-03 at 14.32.24.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-09-02 at 16.37.43.jpeg

I've been down this rabbit hole a year or two back, take the cowl off and have a look at the locking lugs before spending any money.

I had one that looked like Selkirk but the locking lugs were totally different, glad I checked before spending any money as it was also knackered after 10 years.

But would say after 18 years best get it checked internally, I had to bite the bullet for 1.5k for a complete new flue.

Thanks for the replies!

Yes it's a lovely stove, just have a problem when the wind is blowing the wrong direction.

I will look at Selkirk, but I can't get up there myself to look at lugs so need to rely on trades I can find locally.

I've no idea if the regulations were different in 2004 - it's obviously much lower than all the other houses in the neighbourhood that were presumably installed around the same time. None of the local stove shops have it on their records so perhaps it was a self install and never compliant.

I thought it would be more than £1000 but useful to know £1500 is the ballpark.

So I guess its take the risk on a Selkirk piece (no idea how much a small extension piece would be to test first), try to find someone to change the whole flue (seems to be impossible at the moment), or install a fluecube (which would likely fix our problems but probably not satisfy the neighbours).

Here's a wider angle shot that shows how far below the roofline it currently sits. Can see two others, one the other side of the roof peak and the other on the building in the far right that all go above the roofline. Would be useful to get feedback from others about how much trouble we should go to to put this right on behalf of the neighbours (as I saw we moved in last summer so it's been like this for 15+ years).

WhatsApp Image 2022-09-04 at 12.04.55.jpeg

Edited by thrope
added wide angle photo

Regulations aren't usually retrospective, however there should be a certificate and a installer data plate close to the fireplace. If not then your neighbors could be correct in it not meeting regulations.

Has it been swept by a chimney sweep tho?, As it does look close to opening velux windows.

Document J, page 31

Edited by GarethM

We had it swept last year, the guy said it wasn't too bad (he is helping us try to find an extension now). Was hoping could end up with something like the one on the house in the far right of the picture - that doesn't have any external support.

No certificate in the manuals (just the stove manual with a serial number) and no installer plate that I can find. Its a bit away from the window (perspective doesn't make that clear) but very low (less than 1m from the roof I would say).