Felling license required yes or no ?

Tom Richards

I’ve been asked to clear a small site within it are some small diameter fruit trees ( probably self set sucker growth) a goat willow and some cherries .

There are no top constraints or conservation area and planning has not yet been granted. Ecological surveys have been completed and all is clear . 

it’s my understanding that fruit trees are exempt from a felling license so that will reduce the 5 cubic meters within a Calendar quarter. Would you consider the cherry trees to be exempt as well ?

a few pictures of the site attached.

Thanks 

A6A03C18-6E52-4B34-AC6D-B15CCDCB82C3.jpeg

E0A1DA14-2093-4783-892D-6EA050F185F0.jpeg

496E2CDD-1BB6-4FB5-ABE4-B83CD56EB75F.jpeg

DC902990-EEDC-4359-8FA5-C59391387798.jpeg

Sorry I can’t answer the question regarding cherry trees.

But in the past I have worked for a number of firm who were removing a decent number (borderline felling license) of trees on a particular site.  They would  do it on the last day of a quarter and then the first day of the next quarter.

This was a number of years ago but it may still be an option.

Those look like Bird cherry, so they wouldn't be exempt.  One of the felling licence requirements is re-stocking,  so you will need to provide an additional site if you are not intending to restock .

Sites like this are always tricky,  and the developers just want it done. If nobody complains then you will be fine. Richs idea has merit

Thanks for all you input !

I think we will go and start on the fruit trees then keep an eye on the amount that comes off the cherry’s ( thanks for that chart Ben !). If needs be we can then go back after September and complete, I will make sure to take photos to back up quantities.

Slack - Regarding the restocking sites do these have to be “actual sites” or could you contribute to a woodland trust / forestry England scheme ? 

Thanks again !

6 hours ago, Tom Richards said:

Thanks for all you input !

I think we will go and start on the fruit trees then keep an eye on the amount that comes off the cherry’s ( thanks for that chart Ben !). If needs be we can then go back after September and complete, I will make sure to take photos to back up quantities.

Slack - Regarding the restocking sites do these have to be “actual sites” or could you contribute to a woodland trust / forestry England scheme ? 

Thanks again !

It would need to be an actual site.

17 hours ago, Tom Richards said:

I’ve been asked to clear a small site within it are some small diameter fruit trees ( probably self set sucker growth) a goat willow and some cherries .

There are no top constraints or conservation area and planning has not yet been granted. Ecological surveys have been completed and all is clear . 

it’s my understanding that fruit trees are exempt from a felling license so that will reduce the 5 cubic meters within a Calendar quarter. Would you consider the cherry trees to be exempt as well ?

a few pictures of the site attached.

Thanks 

A6A03C18-6E52-4B34-AC6D-B15CCDCB82C3.jpeg

E0A1DA14-2093-4783-892D-6EA050F185F0.jpeg

496E2CDD-1BB6-4FB5-ABE4-B83CD56EB75F.jpeg

DC902990-EEDC-4359-8FA5-C59391387798.jpeg

WWW.GOV.UK

This booklet tells you what you need to know about getting permission to fell any trees for...

Have a read of this. Explains most things.

I believe the fruit trees exemption is for orchards, not simply fruit trees in woodlands (unless they are being managed for fruit I guess). 

Don't think it's the case in England but up here in Scotland, the 5 cube per quarter exemption is only for woods greater than 0.5ha in size.

Oh - be very careful re planning conditions. You say planning permission hasn't been granted yet (but presumably applied for) so I would expect conditions to come into force that will prevent any tree works other than those authorised by the terms of the planning permission if and when it comes. Such permission would also negate the need for a felling licence.

Tread carefully!

Edited by Puffingbilly413
Added a bit