Anyone find chopping wood/kindling theraputic or relaxing ??

John Skinner

Went out to the woodshed the other day to just chop a few logs (literally 1-2) into kindling. Just a wee handful to prep the stove with for the next lighting. I found it weirdly relaxing, and before i knew it i'd filled one of those 170ltr wheelie storage chest. There must just be something about smashing a chunk of hardwood off a Titan splitter with a heavy lump hammer that appeals to me.

* It would have been softwood but it was soaking after being left in the open in the pissing rain. Yes ... we have rain 😳😲😱

• Like 2

It is the hunter gather thing in a fella. Most look at it and see a pile of logs. We look at it and see heating for the next winter or two....just a perspective. I guess it is too easy now to twiddle the thermostat and ...bingo...heat.

A big pile of stacked logs is a thing of beauty and means heat in the winter...simple.

• Like 7

12 hours ago, Husqvarna King said:

Yes, but after 10 minutes my lower back aches from bending down to pick up the rings/logs and it's not relaxing anymore. Split many tons with an elwell....I guess that's why.

You are bang on. The splitting is easy, even fun. The bending to collect and stack, not so.

• Like 2

I use the Titan splitter mounted in a rubber bucket on top of a tall stack of 9-10 blocks (this will be on a wooden chopping block, but not organised one yet) so everything is at standing height. Hit the log off the splitter with the lump hammer and the bits all drop nicely into the bucket. Once semi-full i just lift the bucket and tip it into the big storage chest. Only bending i do is if a bit goes flying. It's not a new method of working, but it works for me.

I took the top (all but the trunk and about 5-6ft of thick branch) off a huge cherry tree in my front garden the other day (such a shock to discover i had sky/sun in front of the house all this time and never knew 🤪). So today i have to breakdown those branches into logs, sticks and green waste. Now that 'is' going to cause me lots of lower back issues from all the bending.

Oh the joys 😣