Problems and issues this industry faces and how to deal with them.

Mick Dempsey

7 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

when he later asked for a price to mill up some Beech he had at home he realised just how off the mark his thoughts were in relation to going rates. 

Most people are flabbergasted at a days milling rate. Out of interest how much did he expect it to be? 

8 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

Most people are flabbergasted at a days milling rate. Out of interest how much did he expect it to be? 

He didn’t even know what he wanted Andy, just thought it would be a wheeze to have the Beech stem he’d had felled milled up. 

I had to explain he’d be better off deciding what is was he wanted the timber for before he had it milled otherwise all he’d end up with is a pile of timber that he periodically moves around until it desiccates away to nothing. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

I haven’t read on to the end to see if anyone has already said it yet….

And similarly, I don’t want to sound like an ass (but genuinely don’t care if I do - it’s not intended) it seems to me like you are trying to make the ground fit the map rather than the map fit the ground. 

You ‘think’ you know better than Mick (the man, any man, with years of hands on experience) because you’ve sat through a lecture or read a book which gives you a view of the world that you believe in and you want everyone to agree with you. Now that’s proper cognitive dissonance. 

It’s kind of like that dick that wrote the article published by the AA. Not saying it’s anything like as dickish as that though - I’m just saying there could be the perception of low level similarities. 

You have that completely back to front. I too have many years of practical experience. I've been self employed my entire life, making a living by doing stuff. The academic side of things is not for me at all. I waited until I was in my thirties to go to University, and only then because I thought it would be an essential step in the process. University taught me very little, and all of my clients use me for my real word practical solutions, not my theories or academic prowess. 

I really don't see why we need to have these kinds of conversations. You know.as well as i do that Mick's arguements were completely full of holes, and actually I think he does too. We aren't talking about how any individual runs their business, we are talking about ways in which an industry could be improved. One such way may be to take advice (or at least consider it) from people outside of the industry who may know something you don't, or see something from a slightly different angle.

The collective knowledge on this forum may be very deep, but it's also quite narrow. I thought it might be useful to have an opinion from someone from outside the usual repository of knowledge. As mentioned before, don't value my opinion on climbing or other manly persuits, but do give my opinion on these other matters some thought; it does have value. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Retired Climber said:

You have that completely back to front. I too have many years of practical experience. I've been self employed my entire life, making a living by doing stuff. The academic side of things is not for me at all. I waited until I was in my thirties to go to University, and only then because I thought it would be an essential step in the process. University taught me very little, and all of my clients use me for my real word practical solutions, not my theories or academic prowess. 

I really don't see why we need to have these kinds of conversations. You know.as well as i do that Mick's arguements were completely full of holes, and actually I think he does too. We aren't talking about how any individual runs their business, we are talking about ways in which an industry could be improved. One such way may be to take advice (or at least consider it) from people outside of the industry who may know something you don't, or see something from a slightly different angle.

The collective knowledge on this forum may be very deep, but it's also quite narrow. I thought it might be useful to have an opinion from someone from outside the usual repository of knowledge. As mentioned before, don't value my opinion on climbing or other manly persuits, but do give my opinion on these other matters some thought; it does have value. 

I understand what you mean and what you say, it’s just that I don’t really see or hear any tangible offering from your posts. What is it you are actually trying to punt? 

You espouse a position that implies you have something significant to offer but I’ve never been able to ascertain quite what it is you’re offering. 

It’s not for the want of trying - I just find you are too elusive, evasive and suggestive but lacking substance. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

I understand what you mean and what you say, it’s just that I don’t really see or hear any tangible offering from your posts. What is it you are actually trying to punt? 

You espouse a position that implies you have something significant to offer but I’ve never been able to ascertain quite what it is you’re offering. 

It’s not for the want of trying - I just find you are too elusive, evasive and suggestive but lacking substance. 

As I said, if I post anything that seems useful, maybe have a ponder or do some research.

I'm offering nothing more than an alternative viewpoint; take it, or leave it. 

• Like 2

I'm a wood waste disposal operative.

A cleaner.

I clean up.

I provide the means, rake, chipper, truck, whatever it takes but at the bottom line is I'm a cleaner.

I've a subby French climber who refuses to reduce a tree.

No shit 

That is the current in vogue philosophy here in France, no reductions.

No reduction movement here is like a religious cult.

He'll dismantle, thin, deadwood, remove offending branches but apical dominance is his sacred cow and he won't touch it.

The French do love a lion tail...

I can sell every service but reductions it seems unless I want to do them myself.

And respect? 

That is a deep as my Google reviews.

Few other arbs seem to respect others.

If they did we'd be more confident posting our reductions...

FFS, I just want to earn €€€ 

Edited by Ty Korrigan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dan Maynard said:

That's funny because I'll reduce but can't be doing with thinning because I think it's pointless, and lions tail are both damaging and pointless.

If you are interested enough and able to navigate translation apps, go join a few French arb pages, post your reductions and wait for the flak...

3 hours ago, Retired Climber said:

I'm perfectly happy to give away information for nothing. I'm not doing all the work though. If something I say seems to make sense, or if it seems counter to the usual position on this forum, do some research around the idea yourself. 

I've googled bits and pieces you've said before and never hit upon any revelations. Maybe I missed the point. Maybe I wasn't clever enough. Maybe I gave up too easily. Maybe all. I'll make a point of performing proper prep the next time you post something intriguing.

Edited by AHPP