Bulk bag and IBC weights.

trigger_andy

Anyone have an educated guess or better yet actually weighed a 1m3 Vented bag of Green Hard Wood Logs or a full IBC? Thats lose filled with logs that are 9-10" in length and then others with 16" Logs. 

Im looking at a mini rough terrain Forklift but its capacity is only 350kg and I get the feeling with Oak or Beech it might be over this.

1 hour ago, trigger_andy said:

Anyone have an educated guess or better yet actually weighed a 1m3 Vented bag of Green Hard Wood Logs or a full IBC? Thats lose filled with logs that are 9-10" in length and then others with 16" Logs. 

Im looking at a mini rough terrain Forklift but its capacity is only 350kg and I get the feeling with Oak or Beech it might be over this.

Chinese crane scales are cheap, or at least affordable, and sufficently accurate for such purposes.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, difflock said:

Chinese crane scales are cheap, or at least affordable, and sufficently accurate for such purposes.

Good point. :)

But I kinda need to know the weights before I go ahead and buy this machine. Currently I do not have any way of lifting the bags and IBC's to weigh them. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, monkeybusiness said:

If it’s maximum capacity is 350kg you’ve got no chance. That’ll be its maximum lift, based on the load being right at the headstock. An IBC places the bulk of the load further away from the machine, reducing capacity. 

The advert said he uses it for shift containers full of logs, I just need to find out what size of containers. He says it can lift about 350kg, I was hoping this was 350kg of something like an IBC or a Tattie Box full of logs. 

I think the key question should be is it lifting green firewood, if so it's a definite no on a 350kg machine.

The 350kg lift at the headstock, would equate to around 250kg pallet lift.

As an IBC is 1.2m3, so over a ton when wet, your going to need a decent forklift or tractor loader.

Edited by GarethM
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, GarethM said:

I think the key question should be is it lifting green firewood, if so it's a definite no on a 350kg machine.

As an IBC is 1.2m3, so over a ton when wet.

That would be for a solid lump of timber though.  There is loads of air when lose filled. I think I fill two IBC's with a Ton of firewood, so that weight would obviously be half of that. I think I fill 3 cube bags with a Ton, so might just be on the 350kg limit. 

Hopefully someone has actually weighed the bags, I doubt anyone has weighed an IBC full of green logs. 

11 minutes ago, Woodworks said:

This was for dry logs. Wet logs  plus the crate will be up to 500kg

Thats great, thanks. Good thread as well. I had assumed around 500kg for the IBC. 

£95 for a cube back in 2014. What are you charging now? Seems like prices have not risen much in that time all considered.